Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

bothered by a little setback

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just don't forget to write down how the medications make you feel at specific dosages and communicate it with your doctor and another person who is close by. Your weight, sex, age, lifestyle, other meds, what you eat, etc. can determine what dosage is the best for you.
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
    Just wanted to say Hello Mya lol i love this smiley .
15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Mya

Just a bit of reassurance... if you haven't had any allergic reaction or dangerous side effects thus far you won't by upping your dose.  You may experience changes  in appetite etc. or maybe a bit more anxiety while balancing but  anything  deemed "dangerous" would have happened as soon as you started taking the paxil.

You are safe now and anything else would only be bothersome and things you could discuss with your doctor. 

Talk to you soon! 

15 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks so much Dazed!!!!

I know my dose is low but it is soooo hard for me to take any medicine that I am scared to move up....but maybe like you said...adding a 5 mg won't be so bad.....I have come real far but still far from where I was a few months ago...I can't help but want to rush things along...but as i already know it doesn't happen that way..unfortunatley!!! I just wish there was a magic wand that made this all disappear...but I have done a few things like going in the store alone and being able to buy things...I guess I am getting there...
I have to Thank You ALL for being so helpful..this site has really pulled me through some hard times!!! I will try to get on the instant messenger soon!!

15 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mya...

Ok.. I'm laughing .. not at you but with you.. We are so similiar.. all of us on here.  You have to remember the meds are a tool not a cure.. Your thought patterns have been happening for a very long time so although the medication helps ease the physical symptoms which in turn  eliminates the majority of your panic attacks, your thoughts are still your thoughts.  It's similiar to singing along to a song for years and years and then one day someone hears you singing it and corrects you on the words.. and you can't believe that you've been singing it  wrong all that time.  ha.  I'm famous for this.  So now that you're in a better place it's time to work on reframing your thoughts.  This is where a counsellor etc. could be really beneficial.  I'm currently looking for one too as with my setback, my  OCD (obsessiving thinking) was quite bad.. and I found that  I wasn't able to cope very well .   I'm MUCH better now but  know that the meds are working and that I haven't really changed  anything  and I need to to prepare for  the next time.. that is if there is one.. (hoping not.. lol.. )

As for the paxil.. 10 mg is VERY low of a dose and isn't even considered "medicinal"  (if that's the right word) so it could be that you do need to try uping your dose.  I went up in 5mg increments.  I would have the pharmacy dispense 10mg tablets and I would break them in half. I would then take 10mg in the AM and 5 mg at night.  That keeps the seratonin running through your body all day.. as well with Paxil it is VERY important to take it at the same time everyday!!  I learned that only by trial and error... and listening to my doctor.. (hang my head).  Be sure to keep the dialogue with your doctor open..

Everyones dose is different and it sounds like you're having success with the medication.  Give yourself some time.. and always remember ALL people have anxiety.. even normal ones.. so some anxiety is ok and not a red flag for something greater.

It's very hard to relearn / restructure the negative thoughts.  Although I'm a million times better than I once was.. even I have trouble at times...and can get really frustrated.

You're doing great!!

We'll chat soon... I've been on messenger a couple of times.  I actually chatted with Miki.. that was very cool... :)
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Mya,
In terms of your anxious thoughts, below are ten questions you may find helpful in challenging your anxious thoughts:

The following ten questions will help you to challenge any anxious thoughts. When you have an anxious thought, answer some of these 10 questions:

1. Is it "true"?
2. How do I know it’s true?
3. Is it 100% true? (remember something that is 75% or 99% true is  
    not 100% true)
4. What's the evidence for it being true?
5. What’s the evidence against it being true?
6. Has it ever happened before?
7. What's different now?
8. If it were true, how bad would it really be?
9. What's the worst thing that could happen?
10. If the worst thing happened, how bad would it really be?

Members, please feel free to add any tips or strategies you find helpful when trying to challenge your anxious thoughts.

As for your medication, perhaps dazedmommy can offer some words of wisdom, and you should continue to consult with your doctor. You can and will get through this!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
it is very hard to start the medicine but i am WAY better then I was...so I do incourage you to try the medicine....don't read all the stuff online...I had some great days last week and I am looking forward to more of the same!!
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Mya , sorry to hear you are having abit of a setback . I sure Dazedmommy will be around to answer you sometime , she knows her stuff
alright !! 

I cant really advise you ( still havnt started taking my meds ) .

Im pleased to hear that you are improving though .

I have been doing well sence starting paxil 22 days ago..it has helped alot..I have had 1 full blown attack sence starting it....last week for me was great..I went grocery shopping, wasn't bothered by being home alone as much...doing great...a few days ago I started to have more anxious thoughts....started paying attention to my balance...wondering if I was dizzty..then started to feel dizzy..I went to the doctors on wednesday and we talked about maybe increasing my dose from 10mg to 20 mg.....that made me constantly think of my anxiety..."am i getting better" " is this feeling anxiety related" "maybe i need to increase the dose"....now with increasing I have all the same worries...will i have side effects that start up, etc....Dazedmommy...maybe you can help me with this...
Well this morning I was pretty nervous...I went yard saleing with my mom and felt a little anxious throughout that..I feel though this is a setback for me and I am bothered by it...any suggestions?

Reading this thread: