Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

What have you learned?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.759 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,772 Members

Please welcome our newest members: A_Cyclist, Cecilia_EH, MereM, browcari, Cas151

Depression with anxiety

18 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nancy- I too had panic attacks for about 5 years and was able to keep them under control with the techniques I learn through books and what not. Then last summer I was fired from my job and since then things got worse. I started avoiding doing things and seeing people. Last month I finally took the big plunge and started working again part time. I won't say that it was easy at first but now I am so glad that I did. It helps to be around people and doings things that take your mind off it. Sometime it helps to know that things have to get better it can't be crappy forever:) Good luck!!
Hi Caitlin. Thanks for writing. I have been feeling a lot better lately. Had gone through a bad breakup, living somewhere where I don't know many people, just finished school and am out of work. Just felt really alone, useless, anxious, depressed. I am getting back into the swing of things, though. Don't really know what I did to feel better, except to be more social, get things done, keep living! Thanks for your post. It's so good to talk to people. Thanks again!
18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Nancy77. I had my first bout with mild/moderate depression a few weeks ago. It lasted for about 3 and a half weeks, and it was the worst time of my life because I felt utterly hopeless and not in control of my feelings. I was terrified I would never come out of it, but I did - thanks to my amazing husband who comforted me but didn't coddle me - he made sure I got out and about, kept me active and entertained, and protected me from any excess stress. I think those things are key, even if you don't have a significant other to do it for you - just make sure you think positive as much as possible, make a list of things to do that will make you feel you are tackling your problems (Alison has a great post recently that lists some things to take action on) and keep your stress to an absolute minimum, and keep your regular routine - get out, socialize, be active, no matter how hard it seems or how little you feel like it. It really can help keep you on track and eventually the clouds will lift. Let us know how you're doing! Caitlin
I've had panic attacks for about 7 years now, but have been managing quite well with techniques I've learned from books, stuff I've learned myself, and with a small dose of Paxil. Recently, though, I moved somewhere where I don't know anyone, my boyfriend broke up with me, and I am out of work. I feel anxious about not knowing anyone here, but really it's the depression that is overwhelming. I feel like I don't know myself anymore. I often cry for no reason. I'm just wondering if people out there have depression, too, or mostly anxiety. I don't know how to get myself out of this rut. I am looking for work, and I know I should start doing things where I can meet people, but it's hard! I feel really alone. Any thoughts/advice would be great!

Reading this thread: