Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-03-27 3:02 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Water

2024-03-17 5:24 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

What motivates you?

2024-03-10 10:30 PM

Quit Smoking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

DM555 3 3

Browse through 411.742 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,431 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Jgorilla, anna13, CCaballero, JJAY EVANGEL, VKATE DARLENE

New Goal and exposure plan - Leave medication

9 years ago 0 11210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Agua,

I can see why stopping medication would be important to you. I do have to warn you though that on ceasing medication for anxiety statistically there is relapse rate of 30-50%. Be prepared with the program and this support group and if you do notice a return of anxiety symptoms then don't take it as a failure - take it as a bump in the road. Also, please be aware that coming of medication should be done under the supervision of a doctor and usually takes about 12-18 months.

Let us know what you decide to do and keep us updated.

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Aqua,
Way to go on setting a mini-goal for yourself!  Medication can sometimes mask a lot of the anxiety and panic symptoms that you need to experience in order to truly heal.  Good luck!

Heather
9 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was very happy with the program when I became to the part 6. when it says "A second problem is that subtle avoidance strategies often make it hard for you to take credit for your efforts." I felt understood.
One of my safe object is medication for sos and daily medication. The CBT program is working very well for me and I´m surprised with the results. But from time to time I ask, and if I wasn´t taking medication, were this working too. I can´t give 100% credits for my hard work while I´m on medication, because there is always the doubt, should I give credits to myself or also to medication?
One of my goals is to leave medication, I´m taking a low quantity: 25 mg Anafranil, 10 mg Inderal and 0.5 Rivotril each day. 
But when I don´t take Rivotril, I have very difficults on sleeping, it seams that my body is physically dependente of it, and I don´t like it. It seams that I have to find strategies to sleep well without it, this will be my first mini-goal.
I have to tell you that while I was writing this post, this mini-goal appear on my head, so writing this post as already helped me too :)

Reading this thread: