Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Exposure work question

12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi MaryLouise,

Pick a fear that you would like to tackle first. One that would make an impact on your life. One that when thinking about it excites you to think of taking control of it.

It sounds like meeting new people at work would be a good first fear to take on. You can work up to walking around your office if you feel that is too much to start. What are some other things you could do that would challenge that fear but not be as scary as actually going to your work?

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Mary Louise. i am new to this myself, but going for a walk near work sounds good. maybe you could build up to doing it when you know people will be leaving or going out to lunch so you bump into them, or meeting with one person who doesn't make you feel as anxious? they migth be stupid ideas, i don't really get anxious about events its mainly thougths for me, so feel free to ignore me if they seem unsuitable! good luck x  

12 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, my name is MaryLouise. I have been working through the session on PC, very helpful. I am stumped right now while working of exposure. I can't seem to find a suitable fear that I can work through. It's seems either too much or too little. So here are a few examples, wondering if someone could comment to assist me.

I do have a fear of meeting people from my place of employment; I have been away for 18 months now. So I was thinking I could expose myself to the area around my workplace, for instance walk a block near it or go to a store during work hours. IS that too big of a fear to address?

I have always had fear of heights, so would standing on a ladder of various heights etc be a better one.

I'd appreciate any other comments.

thanks

12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi m33, 

That is a very good question.  I think part of it is learning ways to live in the moment.  Work on ways that you can 'ground' yourself.  Bring yourself back to the present and try to get out of your head which may be full of worry and back into your surroundings.  Do some deep breathing, go for a nature walk, prepare a nice meal.. 
Another thing you could do is focus on healthy living.  What are activities you could do to help you feel your best? 
Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
if my fears are more related to the fears of getting or dying of cancer, then they are of going to a public place, how should i do exposure work on something like that. going somewhere public doesnt bother me all that much. for an example, if i start thinking about cancer or something like that, i will take some Larazepam to calm me down. now should i not take it and deal with the thoughts head on? would that be something i should do? just cant figure out how to do exposure work with (Hypochondria).

Reading this thread: