Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,479 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE, kathleencabralmd, TestingDHA, JVICTORINO

To Be Ambitious or To Be SMART - That is the question in planning

12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs.

Perfectionism snuck in there. Time and skill. Definition of skill. The ability to create something pleasing and functional with or without mistakes. Perfectionism. Same thing but with no room for mistakes. This one takes more time. Is it worth it. Is this why you are being hard on yourself and feel you don't have enough time. The hell of it is that even after taking the time to create something perfect, it is not always pleasing. Is the time worth it?

Like battles, you need to pick your projects the same way. Take a page out of the lawyer book. Don't ask anything you don't already have the answer to. Don't aim for perfect if it is not going to change the outcome.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vincenza,
I get it done but crash and burn.   I'll scale down to "reality" I guess.  There are outside marketing forces though, like tv, that make life seem a lot easier than it is.  An example is the home show reality series.  The real "reality" is that everything takes time and skill and not everyone has either or both
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

I also think your doctor is right.  I've never heard of that SMART acronym before and it makes so much sense.  Often we throw ourselves into projects and don't realize what we've gotten ourselves into until its too late.  It's important that you consider your own well-being and take time for yourself - once you work through the elements of SMART, I'm sure you will find a good balance so that you can work on goals in your parents home, yet you won't spread yourself too thin. 

How have you handled situations in the past where you found yourself in the middle of a project that you feel is overwhelming?

Vincenza, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

I used to be. Your Doctor is right. If it doesn't fit S.M.A.R.T. then it probably is too much. Nothing wrong with aiming high if you can accept what you get. I've learned that. I've also learned it is okay.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My doc recently asked me to scale down my goals in my parents home, where I wished to take on more than I could handle.

SMART is an acronym for planning representing "specific" "measureable" "achievable" "realistic" "timeline". 

Do others feel sometimes that they are too ambitious, since sometimes that can "stretch" you?  I just find I choke

Reading this thread: