Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Getting a little bit better

14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great courage Pimlico Paul!  Very impressive!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thats great!  Keep the positive mindset going.

I find if any time im feeling dodgy i log in here and read it helps a lot.  The lessons really are worth reading again and again just to reinforce my belief that i can beat this.

It reminds me not to over analyse my body sensattions and not to avoid anything .  Its working well so far and any symptoms soon ease. I even tried to induce an attack when i was feeling particulary anxious for several hours  a few days back but it wouldn`t come on.

I actually found myself talking to "it" - saying "come on - do your worst - im ready! I know im not dying - lets get it over with!"

As i said , it wouldn`t escalate that day - but im sure one day soon it will - and im ready!
14 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations cnstarz on all of your successes! It is so great to hear that you are doing so well! Also, congrats on taking on a leadership position at the school. Good on ya! I think a reward is definitely in order Treat yourself to something nice and relaxing, you definitely deserve it!

Please keep us posted on how you are doing,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thats great to hear.  I know that so often there are two aspects to Panic Disorcer and its really hard to decide which is the worst.  On one hand, the attacks themselves are so painfull and frightening that of course you hate them, but on the other, the weeks and weeks of dreading and even that you are just so positive is going to cause you an attack can almost be worse.  The important thing to remember, is that why you may not always have control over a Panic event, you can control the daily grind of fear and doubt with a couple tricks.

For one, push the thought out of your mind every time it comes up.  Its not neccessary to challenge the thought and give it power every hour of the day and sometimes its okay to just let go and let what happens happen.  If your brain persistently wants to keep pestering you, then practice repeating postive reinforcement to yourself.  Not only will your subconcious pick up and feel good about your own positive reinforcement, but it makes for great brain filler, kind of like when you were a kid and you just yelled LALALALALA as loudly as you could so you couldn't hear what your friend was saying :P

I am a smart person.
I can do whatever I set my mind to.
I welcome any challenge.
I will overcome anything that comes my way.

I myself repeat this in the shower alot and by the time I get out I actually do feel just a little bit stronger if for no other reason than I forgot the thing I was dreading.  I wish you the best of luck and remember that sometimes it seems like your disease has control over you but all it takes is a conscious effort to regain some control.  Well, that and maybe some pharmaceuticals :P
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I intro'd myself several weeks ago when my panic disorder took a big turn for the worst.  I'm a teacher, so I've been off all summer.  The lack of a structured routine really threw me for a loop.  I have been worried about going back to school, since I have been having such a hard time lately.  Well, last week I started going up to the school every day.  We are going to have a new principal this year and I've now met with her for several hours total.  She's very much an action-taker and I feel confident that things are going to be much better for me at work next year. 

The first day I went back, I was very nervous.  I had a LOT of "skipped beats" and called my husband to tell him that I was on my way home so that he could check to make sure I got there okay.  I had a constant feeling of impending doom for the entire drive.  The second day, I felt a little better while I was at school, but still had a lot of skipped heartbeats and a feeling of impending doom on the drive home.  I was tempted to call my husband, but I didn't.  The third day, I was very happy while I was at school, had five or six skipped beats on the way home, the temptation to call was a lot less. 

Today, I was very happy to be at the school.  I got to see some of my teacher friends.  I sat through and participated in a 2.5 hour meeting without a single anxious twinge.  I even signed up for a leadership position for next school year.  On the way home, I had 3 skipped heartbeats and hardly any anxiety at all.  It felt good!  :-)

Anyway, I'm very happy to be seeing these kinds of results so quickly after starting exposure.  Now if only my efforts to get my classroom clean and organized could be so fruitful...

Reading this thread: