Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Trip to the seaside

21 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Marianne, Just the fact that you have the courage to adenture out shows that you are headed in the right direction. Congrats!! It sounds like you have things under control. Good luck!! Michelle ;p
21 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks! That's helped me a lot! You're right, at the moment I do feel like I'm snowballing in the right direction, thanks to you guys, and I feel a lot of confidence, curiosity and excitement! In the meantime a friend of mine has decided to come along. In a way this is good, because I know I will be less scared with her around. On the other hand I really wanted to try it on my own. Ah well, maybe better to take it one step at a time, and not do the first flight on my own. If it goes well I'll have more confidence next time I do it on my own. Marianne
21 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You'll do fine Marianne! First of all, a little while ago, would you have even THOUGHT of flying anywhere? No Way! This is a definite sign that you're getting better. Also, you have a positive and optimistic frame of mind now, and it becomes like a snowball effect and gets better and better! Be excited about taking this trip, and be excited that you're going to be fine! Think about how this is going to change your life when it goes wonderfully! Don't spend too much time worrying about panicking, although do whatever you need to prepare! Have fun, and keep us posted! Beth
I'm afraid I still haven't reached section 4 of the programme. Better get reading! :) Now I urgently need some support. I can't believe it, I've just booked a flight! Aaaaaaaaargh! After the trip to the seaside went quite well (I've forgotten all the bad bits by now and only remember the gorgeous scenery) I've decided to take it a step further and try my first flight in almost three years, and stay over night! Aaaaargh. I'M SCARED! It's just going to be one night though, like last time, but there is the FLIGHT, and I'm going to France, so there will be a bit of a language and culture barrier. And the waiting in the airport, and the driving to the airport. OHMYGOD! I think that's the worst bit, waiting about at the airport. Does anyone have tips on how to steady your nerves and distract yourself for the two hours before the flight? Lots of beer seems to help, but often I'm too scared to drink before a flight because I'm worried about stomach problems. HELP!!! Well the good thing is the flight only cost me £30 so it won't hurt too much if I cancel at the last minute. And it only takes 45 minutes. Marianne
21 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations on facing your fear! So glad to know you're using the program. Exposure Work starts in Session 4. Exposure work is a step-by-step exercise. Consider whether it's possible that you may have done too much at once? -- Anne-Marie, Site Administrator
21 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congratulations Marianne! I've been thinking of you for the past few days, and wondered how it had gone! I know how you feel, looking for signs of a panic attack. It just gets to the point when you are so used to having it, you wonder where its gone! I can also relate to your feelings of being halfway. For a long time, that was when i'd start to relax too. Now that you know that you'll be fine after half, cut that in half! Wait until you're halfway to halfway. (Its the same thing, you're anticipating the time you'll be fine). I hope that makes sense. Anyways, welcome back! Beth
21 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know how you feel. It would be so easy to stay in your safe place. I feel safe at my home. I make myself go to get groceries and to take care of the things the family needs. I am afraid if I let someone else do it all, I will never want to leave here again. I refuse to let myself do that. Tomorrow I am going to some computer work for a company that called me today. It will take all my concentration to get through it. When I come home I will be completely exhausted. I hate that. I think I work so hard thinking that I might have a panic attack, I use up all my energy. Also, I think when the adrenaline is released in your body during a panic attack, it makes you so tired. I hate that you are going through these attacks, but it helps knowing you are not alone. Mollie :) :)
Thanks Mollie! I am proud of myself, and at least now I know I can do it, maybe the next time it will be just that little bit easier :) I've had panic attacks for the past 20 years, too, and I find I do have to make a conscious effort to do things I know I won't enjoy, or else my world will just get so small. But sometimes it just seems so much easier to just stay in my safe place . . . Thanks again, Marianne
21 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think you should be very proud of yourself for making the effort. You probably knew when you left for trip that there was going to be some difficult times. But you know what?? You got through it!!!! You did have some good times along the way. The seaside is so beautiful and it helps take your mind off of obsessive thoughts that can bring on a panic attack. Don't ever give up!! I have been dealing with panic disorder for 20 years. I always look forward to tomorrow and know that it is a new beginning. I heard someone say that yesterday is just a memory. We have to push toward the future. NEVER GIVE UP!! Good Luck! Molle[b]Text[/b] :)
Hi everybody! Well, I've just come back from a trip to the seaside. It was the first time I've stayed away from home on my own for many years. It was just one night, but I had been scared and anxious for several days in advance, couldn't sleep and cried quite a bit. It went ok in the end, but I'm not sure if I want to do it again in a hurry. The good bits (walking along a cliff top at sunset, a deserted pebble beach) were really good, but there were so many bad bits, too. On the way there I felt really scared, constantly looking for signs of a panic attack. This lasted for most of the evening, it was awful, there was nothing to distract me in the strange hotel room and I didn't know what to do with myself after dark. I really really wanted to be in a safe place. The second day was fine though, as usual, as soon as I am past halfway point and know I'll be going home soon I start enjoying it! So I don't know. On the one hand I'm proud of myself for having done it, on the other hand I really hated big parts of it and think Jeeez, is it really worth all the stress? Maybe I hadn't planned it properly, I'm still at the first part of the panic program. I had felt much better recently and just thought yeah, go for it. Marianne

Reading this thread: