Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Quit 6 months today

8 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks so much for sharing this valuable advise with us!

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gus, 
Congratulations on your huge milestone of six months!  That is a fantastic accomplishment and I am so proud of you!  You have been a beacon for me, lighting the way ahead, an inspiration.  I so appreciate you sharing this positive message and I wish you all the very best as you move forward!
8 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I made the decision to stop drinking six months ago today. I have not had any alcohol in that period of time.
I would like to share a few thoughts with those of you who may be considering cutting back or quitting altogether. 

I found quitting easier than trying to cut back. I tried cutting back or "managing" what I was drinking for a couple years. It would work for a bit, but then I went back to the same patterns. Once I quit, and got used to the pattern of not drinking at all, then I found it became easier to just not drink at all, vrs trying to manage what I was drinking. Maybe thats not everyones experience, but thats what I found for me. 

The biggest benefit of quitting for me has been the reduction in emotional downs. I found myself down in the dumps alot more when I was drinking too much. Alcohol is a depressant after all, so it has its physiological effect. And drinking too much made me have a lower opinion of myself. Since I have quit, those depressive episodes have stopped almost completely. Life still happens, but the downs arent as deep or as long anymore. 

I also sleep better. Alcohol had been interupting my sleep patterns greatly. Since I quit, I have gotten nice deep sleeps every night. As a result, the next day I am more alert, and refreshed, and of course, not hungover! As a side note, I had a dream last week I had been drinking and was suffering a massive hangover. Not sure if it was a dream or nightmare:)

My message to anyone who is considering quitting is that based on my experience, there is no downside to quitting. I have not found one negative thing about stopping drinking. Getting through the first few days was tough, but once I did, it got alot easier. In fact, its much easier than I had anticipated. 

I hope this note gave someone an idea or two to help them out. 

Cheers everyone!
Gus

Reading this thread: