Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Article on drinking and new advances

9 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes you're right if let ourselves to give up in alcohol it's like you just let the alcohol ruin your life and relationships with family and love one. You made the right choice keep it up. Thank you for posting this thread.
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TS your frankness and candid post made me smile. And as usual you made me think! Thank you and I'm so glad you are here posting and part of this community!! :-)

Why do we lose the control? We wouldn't drive off the road on purpose? Why do we derail? I am trying to figure out that answer for myself. I think we are all different and our reasons are different....searching inside is a good place to start.
9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Again, as ND pointed out, we are not victims. Alcohol doesn’t come running after us from the store. Alcohol does not jump on us, hold us down and pour itself down our throats. Alcohol sits there as the inanimate object that it is. We give alcohol its power. We bring it into our lives. We initiate the process of getting drunk. Every drink we take is within our power, not alcohols. We may not remember the following day that we were in charge and then promptly call alcohol names for “making” us do stupid things but in reality, alcohol is not responsible, we are. So please, we have the power not alcohol. We are liable for our actions. Blaming alcohol is like blaming food for making us fat, or cigarettes for giving us cancer.

These are conscious choices and the resolution is so simple. If you want to minimize your risk of cancer, don’t smoke. If you don’t want to get fat, make healthy food choices and consume appropriate amounts for your needs, and if you don't like yourself when you consume alcohol, don’t drink.

Remember, we are in control. The question is why do we choose to lose it?

TS

9 years ago 0 315 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me the only choice is to take the first drink or not. For me as soon as I have one the worry of when the next one will arrive. I get thirsty after just one sip. I tried every trick in the book to limit my intake all with the same result, totally loaded. Yes, I can choose to not have one but that is where my choices end. Powerless over alcohol I am, Today I choose not to drink. Does not mean I have power over it, just means I know its power over me.
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think sometimes the problems we started out with become much more vague and over shadowed by the problems we make with our drinking. I use the phrase "we drink because we drink" to describe what I'm talking about. But once we get some space and freedom we can then work on the things that pushed us to the place to begin with.  Then we can make decisions for our life. 

Confidence, I think, comes from working out your problems and hiccups. And confidence comes from feeling like you can make a difference and have control. At least for me it does. 
9 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For me, confidence began to build with being honest to myself and admitting there was a problem (an addiction). Staying sober for the first few days and searching for support also added to building confidence. Joining AHC and sharing experiences, thoughts, and information with others who understand, has had a tremendous effect on building self confidence. Focusing on the positive things in life since going alcohol free. Every new day sober is a confidence builder. How we deal with the dark times in the past can also be a positive in the future. I often look back at how I had to cope with divorce as a result of my ex's infidelities, learning my so-called best friend was the third party, being the target parent of parental alienation, and other major crisis. I now feel, that getting past those very difficult times has made me much stronger and I can beat this alcohol addiction. Swig
9 years ago 0 11221 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Another great thread Nodrama. You make a very good point - not feeling a victim to alcohol. I think this can be a very helpful way of thinking about alcohol and even other life challenges.

I also want to ensure this line of thinking doesn't lead us to blaming the individual with alcohol use problems. Sometimes people may feel like a victim or feel helpfulness to change due to many reasons outside themselves; abuse, poverty, trauma, mental health issues, discrimination, social isolation, etc., etc. Are all difficulties that push some people to turn to alcohol to cope. They may not feel like they can fight due to the experiences they have had to endure. Sometimes individuals need more outside help and information in order to feel they can fight.

I am curious, What made other members more confident in their ability to fight this addiction?

. Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great topic ND. Thanks for starting it off. Moving away from feeling and feeling like a victim to one of power and control is the way to go.

TS, I couldn't agree more and you're definitely on the right track. Great suggestions. I've been been doing much the same thing.

Swig, you're right drinking is conscious choice and we are responsible. To say otherwise is not be host with yourself. And that in itself is a key isn't it? What we say to ourselves.... Our self-dialogue drives so much of our behaviour and we need to pay attention to what we are saying and decide what we actually want to say, make our own choice and not listen to some voice from the past that has no place in our lives now. 

All the best,

Dave

9 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting topic Nodrama,

Alcohol controls us only when we allow it.  If we had no control, we would not be here on this site, sharing accomplishments, or marking our days sober. I believe it’s simply a conscious choice (a challenging one) we make; either we drink or we don’t drink.  Alcohol do not control me when I’m sober (although it tries with urges, temptations, cravings) but ultimately I am the one whom decides to indulge.  Its only when we choose to drink, that the addiction takes over and alcohol takes control.  I cannot blame my reckless actions and stupid decisions while under the influence, on the alcohol.  I am very much aware of what alcohol does to me; repeated experience has proven that many times over.  If we just see ourselves as victims and powerless over alcohol, then thousands of criminals in this country should not be incarcerated because of alcohol related crimes (it wasn’t me, it was alcohol).  So how do we prosecute Alcohol or put it behind bars?

I am responsible and I hold myself accountable for my choices and subsequent actions.

Thinking Comes Before Drinking

Swig

9 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I totally agree that we actually do have total control over what ever we put into our bodies and the decisions we make that affect ours and sometimes others lives. Drinking alcohol is an indulgence. Yes, we develop cravings/urges for alcohol once we've conditioned ourselves. But, is it really any different than the diabetic who convinces themselves that they can go back to their old eating habits? The retired boxer who convinces himself that he can win again only to be knocked out or the gambler that will bet away the family home. Many of us have different urges/compulsions that we ultimately have indulged in to the point of excess. No different than the child who cries for candy we cry for and will defend our habit. Yes habit. We habitualized alcohol and did so under the guise of relaxation and enjoyment.

That is why I found the article that Dave pointed out so very interesting and helpful. I've been reading many of the links as well and they hold a wealth of information. If we can develop negative habits, we can also think our way into positive habits. Essentially we are harnessing the power of our subconscience and conscience mind.

I have been utilizing these new found skills every day. I also review the reasons why I hate alcohol. In fact, I go on the web and find out why other people hate alcohol. Reading and thinking about the negatives of booze, every day, will eventually become part of your subconscience. You will begin to truly believe that you are poisoning yourself and every aspect of your life when you drink.

Replacing alcohol with things that are good for you such as a healthy diet, exercise and good sleep hygiene can be habitualized in the same way. Think about how much you enjoy feeling strong after a workout, how your energy level increases after nutritious food and enough sleep.

I know that we can change, that we can be successful in our quest to outwit alcohol. We just have to truly believe in ourselves.

TS

Reading this thread: