Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

The Dopamine effect

9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting Dave. Thanks for posting!

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi ND, those are great questions and I'm going to get my thoughts together for a more detailed response. I'm away traveling right now so time is limited. I'm glad you brought up serotonin because alcohol can be a big factor with problems with depression and low serotonin levels. 

All the best,

Dave
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What about serotonin ? Does it effect that?
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So what this is saying is that our bodies are craving dopamine that causes alcohol cravings? Is that why the craving for sugar at times? Dopamine calms us? Do the other "feel good" hormones play a part in this as well? Not trying to sound dumb just gathering info.
Expanding on the first topic, this article discusses the effect alcohol has on your brain AFTER you start consuming the alcohol......and once again dopamine is a key contributor....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2012/10/16/what-alcohol-really-does-to-your-brain/

So now we have dopamine being released into the brain before we start drinking and the continued release after we drink and continue to drink. Now consider how we naturally learn and practice that learning into developing habits and the critical part dopamine plays in learning. When we teach ourselves we can eliminate fear and anxiety, which we are naturally wired to do anyway, with alcohol and build the associations for anticipating relief when we drink, what do you suppose happens when we get this anticipatory dopamine experience from other events.....? As a result of building so many associations, combined with all of these past traumas and cognitive thinking distortions, it's no wonder why life can feel like one trigger after another. 

Learn to control and eliminate distorted thinking habits and separate yourself (mindfulness) from the the experience of these triggers (the dopamine effect) and you'll begin to solve your problem. We learned to cope using alcohol in a natural way. we can learn a better way to cope without it.

All the best,

Dave

Hi All,

I've been meaning to sure this link for a while. It talks about how the anticipation of a result triggers a dopamine response.....I think this is significant because it relates back to triggers and helps to explain why they can be so powerful. 

http://dopamineproject.org/2011/07/same-neurochemistry-one-difference-dr-robert-sapolsky-on-dopamine/

What the embedded video to get the full explanation. It quite excellent. 

Have a read and watch and lets here some ideas. It will lead to further discussions that relate to the topic.

All the best,

Dave

Reading this thread: