Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

The 5 R?s.........

9 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's been a week of no alcohol and surprisingly I've had no urges that I can remember. I am on vacation however and the true test will come when work starts after another week off. Thanks for your post, Dave. Very good timing. I will print that off and carry the 5 Rs with me in my wallet. I'm expecting the first week back to be a little stressful so it'll be good to have something with me. I also like the "it's just a thought" part. 

Cheers.  
9 years ago 0 421 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dave, 
This is a great way to think! I'm going to try it immediately! Thank you. I really like the part about it being the thought and that is not a command. Great stuff. 
9 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for posting Dave.

Very informative and current! I have recently read In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts - very good book.,

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi all,

I came across a good article on a site (from authors site "Memoirs of an Addicted Brain") for a strategy some here may find useful. It is a strategy to re-focus our attention and deal with urges to drink when they occur. Below is a section of it. To read the full entry go to:

http://www.memoirsofanaddictedbrain.com/connect/refocusing-the-role-of-distraction-and-substitution-in-recovery/?utm_source=Memoirs+of+an+Addicted+Brain&utm_campaign=8f4d24ed89-RSS_EMAIL_CAMPAIGN&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_4355f9df26-8f4d24ed89-343737989

The strategy is actually from the book "In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts: Close Encounters with Addiction" by Gabor Mate, MD......a very insightful and thought-provoking read by a doctor dealing with addicts in a large city (Vancouver).....

While it focuses on opiates, the psychology of addiction is the same....

“The 5 Rs”.  When the urge to use occurs, the addict is encouraged to “Relabel” the thought (it’s just a thought, not a command), “Reattribute” the thought (it’s my old addictive pattern again – my brain’s old behavior), “Refocus” (distract and turn one’s mind to healthy activities), “Revalue” (play the tape forward and clarify all the negative consequences that could occur because of relapse), and finally “Recreate”, where the addict focuses attention on his or her dreams for a new sober life.

1. Relabel

2. Reattribute

3. Refocus

4. Revalue

5. Recreate

The 4th and 5th Rs, Revalue and Recreate, are explicitly about addressing the addict’s distorted thinking when weighing short-term payoffs against long-term chaos....."

I really like the "Relabel" and recognizing for what it really is.....a "thought" and not a "command". And these thoughts cannot hurt you and certainly do not control you. 

There isn't enough space to post the entire entry so feel free to read it and share your thoughts. The site contains a lot of really helpful and insightful entries in blog that many will find useful as well. You'll find a link to the blog under the main nav menu "Blog"

Hope this helps in some small way! 

All the best,

Dave

Reading this thread: