Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Friends who I used to Drink with

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
orangecatlover,

Thanks for the congrats! one month has been a crazy achievement for me, considering all my peers live for is partying on the weekends. My non-alcoholic drinks that i choose:
-Juice
-WATER WATER WATER (i'm a big water fan)
-chocolate milk
-Teas (with a bit of honey)

MMMM just talking about it is making me so thirsty! 

How have you been doing orangecatlover?

RAY
14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been drinking water with juice ice cubes in it!  That is really helping.  My skin looks awesome and I feel so much healthier... Ok I still drink a bit but i have cut back A LOT
14 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Rayoflight, and congratulations to you!  One month is an achievement!

Every time I go for a spell of not drinking I feel good about myself and even better physically.  The mystery is why I go back to drinking.  I haven't had the urge this week but I'm prepared.  I spend a lot of time shopping for non-alcoholic alternatives.  I can't have caffeine after noon so that leaves herbal teas (i don't trust decaffeinated teas)and fruit drinks and of course water.  I reward myself with an extra snack now that I'm not consuming 500 calories a day in wine.

What's your "drink", Ray?
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ray,

It sounds like you are doing well, am I right? How has controlling your alcohol consumption changed your life? 

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on 7 days sober orangecatlover!

Yes it will take some time to avoid having those feelings but it is really worth it! I've been sober for over a month now and I can honestly say I've never felt so good. I'm making new friends and my old friends are accepting that I am serious this time.

Good to meet you! Stay strong, one step at a time!

Ray

Thanks Ashley!  I feel good, stronger and more able to face reality. 
14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Congratulations on 7 days sober!  That is amazing!  How does it feel?

Ashley, Health Educator
Thanks for your responses. It turns out I didn't visit, but talking to my friend on the phone lessened my anxiety.  She is so stressed out, and so focused on her husband's illness, that I believe she will barely register my not drinking.  I think I was projecting a bit---I thought I was worried about her reaction to my not drinking, but I was really worried about myself in a trigger situation.

So, 7 days sober!  But last night my son called very late waking me up (he didn't realize the time) to say he wouldn't be able to watch the football game at my house as he usually does and my first thought was, "oh, I guess I'll buy a bottle of wine then."  I thought it was revealing that in my sleepy state myfirst reaction dealing with a suddenly vacant schedule was to drink.
Then I remembered I don't want to do that anymore.  But it took me forever to get back to sleep!
14 years ago 0 151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would suggest bringing a sober support friend (in AA we'd bring a sponsor) to come along and support us and keep us accountable.
14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think being open with her is a great idea.  The tea also is a nice touch

She may be a little unhappy about the idea at first but tell her you could really use her support and friendship right now.  Maybe plan something extra special to make it seem like a celebration and not really a deprivation.  It would be a nice reward for you too. Maybe bring over a great movie and popcorn, some nice desserts and a interesting game? Depending on what you two both enjoy there are a lot of fun ideas.  If you do feel the urge to drink prepare yourself to leave the situation if you have to.  You will do great!  You have to let us know how it goes.  Have fun!

Members, have you been in a similar situation? How did you deal with it?

Ashley, Health Educator

Reading this thread: