Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,551 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

The holiday seasons.....

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi betterlife,

I'm glad you like my handle "rayoflight",  I like it too! Also, I totally agree with you on feeling embarrassed to tell people that you are cutting down. Sometimes I try to think of excuses, (allergic, on medication) to tell people so that I don't have to simply say I'm cutting down because I can't control myself. But you know, your right i'd rather do that then be out of control and do embarassing things will intoxicated. I have prepared for the holidays and I will drink alternatives (those mocktails sound like a wicked idea). My boyfriend is very supportive, he appreciates me cutting down and thinks highly of me for doing so.

Hi Leanne,
This site is a great place to be. Know that it's been pointed out to you and you are aware make that change, make the difference!

Ray
14 years ago 0 113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi there, Truffle

Interesting idea about replacin the drink with tea. I think I will go with hot chocolate or italian sodas...

I never thought I had a drinking problem until one day my younger one pointed it out, I stumbled to this site after reading some on the internet and I am just starting the program now.

Look forward to getting to know people on here a bit better.

14 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know what you mean ray.  I love a nice little nog while looking at the christmas lights.  But I went out and bought some nice teas.  I am actually looking forward to drinking them.  I think it would be a great gift to give my family this year...me being sober.   So far so good!

What is everyone elses plans for the holidays?

14 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i was a daily drunk. i have not had a drink last 3 years using the spiritual program of action.
14 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ray,
I think you are very wise to start thinking AHEAD of the season a be prepared with a great plan ... as the saying goes 'if you don't plan for successs, you are planning for failure!' 
I'm planning on trying to be more straigtforward with those around me about my intentions ... that is hard to do for me without feeling embarrassed, but then I think of all the embarassing things I have done while drunk at past parties
and then uttering the words "No thank you, I'm trying to cut down/quit" don't seem that bad.
I'm also think I'm going to try to find a list of mock-tails that will be so yummy that others might even want to join in with me!
Best of luck to you!
BL
(BTW ... I love your handle "RayOfLight"
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ray,

You are right, despite the fact that the holiday season is still far enough away the work parties and parades will begin in the next few weeks. Here are a few tips for dealing with holiday parties.If you are going to a party have a plan B, an escape route. If you are going to a party with a spouse or good friend you can explain to them that you might have to leave the party without much notice. You can likely have a backup plan to go for a coffee or a movie instead. Next you can learn to say yes to the dreaded question “Would you like a drink?”. You can say yes I’d love a soda-water with lemon or a coke. If the person then presses something alcoholic on you, you can say “not right now, this soda-water will hit the spot”.

Members, what have your experiences been with holiday parties? What have you done to avoid the temptations? 

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ok, so I know I'm way ahead of the game! The holiday seasons are not thatttt close. But in all fairness, they will be here before we know it. In fact it is already November 10th. There is only 6 weekends before "xmas". My concern is the holiday partying. I am just a few weekends away from my first "christmas party". I have been really good at stearing clear from alcohol so far, but the holiday season for me just has this sort of magic to it. How can I go to all my parties and stay distracted from the alcohol?

Sorry, I just heard a xmas commercial on the radio and it got me thinking....

Ray 

Reading this thread: