Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,573 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

Need help

7 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the forum. In AA we call that peculiar mental twist. After a period of abstinence, the mind tricks us into believing that we could handle a drink or two. Or some people don't think at all of the consequences. They hit the blind spot. Therefore the basic text of alcoholics anonymous talks about the mind being the main problem of the alcoholic. The 12 steps helps us think sanely. See if you can find a local AA meeting and see if you can identify with the people.
7 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Needhelp!  It sounds like you have had so much to deal with over the years and my heart goes out to you.  Alcohol has been your "security blanket" to get you through the sad times.  It also sounds like you are ready to make a change and that you have been successful for short times twice already.  In my experience, alcohol actually contributed to my anxiety and once I stopped drinking, many things improved.  Would seeing a doctor regarding your panic attacks be a good idea? What worked for me was the support of this forum, counselling to deal with why I was drinking, meditation, exercise and lots of other tools.  Others here have found help through AA, rehab., other online support.  You already know that you can stop drinking as you have done it.  Now you may need more tools and supports in place to stay stopped if that is your goal. What worked and didn't work in your past attempts?  It is possible to quit drinking, and it is a much better life although we tell ourselves we can't live without it.  There are lots of stories on this forum and support here as well.  Keep posting to tell us how you are doing.  Sending a big hug!
7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi I am  new here but I am glad I found this forum.
I am the daughter of an alcoholic who committed suicide and so did my ex-husband.
I have been dealing with depression my whole life and have been pretty much stuck in a box without life for 10 years.
My drinking has been escalating over the years. I tried to stop in 2011 and was successful for a bit then again in 2015 it lasted a month. My biggest trigger is all the liquor stores I pass by on my way home. And these horrible panic attacks. There have been on and off  and I know I get them when I drank too much over the week-end then have to cut back during the week. Only drinking at night. I just don't know how to stop being afraid of getting one.
I don't know what to do and my boss told me the other day that they smelled alcohol on me. So I need some serious cutback. It's like I need my safety blanket (a bottle of booze) with me at all time just in case I get another panic attack.
Help me please :)

Reading this thread: