Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,563 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Trying Again

6 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Edward,

Thank you for sharing us a bit about your relationship with alcohol. As you can already see, you are not alone. We will help you through this.

I look forward to reading more from you. 

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anyone else get an addiction like this?

Hello Edward,
   I could relate to what you said. I started to drink around the age of 18 and quickly become a full blown alcoholic. Saving grace was I don't loose much. Pretty functional. Went from hard liquor to beer only experiments. Finally ended up drinking several pints of those high gravity beers. Couldn't stay stopped. Emotionally and spiritually was in a bad spot. The shrink guided me to the fellowship of AA in 2006 end of september. So coming up on 11 years. Change is one of the key thing. Have to have a different outlook upon life.
6 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Edward,

Welcome and smart decision to get this under control. Chronic pain is really awful, especially your back. We don't realize how much we rely on certain areas of our body, especially the back (my problem is my knee). The opiate-based pain killers are really bad. I had shoulder surgery in May this year and they gave me oxycontin for pain management. I was reluctant to take it because of it addictive qualities but had to get over the hump and stay ahead of it the first couple of days. I stopped taking it after 3 days because I got so bloody narc'd out on it and flushed them. Have you ever considered something medical marijuana? They make strains of it that remove the THC that gets you buzzed out and do a higher CBD content that kills the pain. You don't have to smoke it either because it comes in oil or gel caps. I'm not encouraging it, just bringing it to your attention because it's far better than an opiate. Acupuncture really helped me a lot as well. I go to a TCM clinic (traditional Chinese medicine) and they've done amazing things for me. I have a prescription myself for MJJ from my doctor. I rarely use it because I can manage the chronic pain, however, back pain is a whole different level. My friend suffers from it and it's a real challenge for him. Driving, sitting, working, everything seems to aggravate his back and it really messes with sleep patterns. 

As to cars, any genre in particular? Classic cars, modern sports cars? Big fan myself, though my preference is fast bikes :)

Hang tough and come back for support! You'll get a lot of positive and constructive advice.

Peace

D848

6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where to begin.  I guess the beginning. My first drink was in high school after that I have always drank socially.  Well I I started having back problems of course doctors were heavy handed with pain meds back then.  Over several years I had three back surgeries. The last one was a double fusion. Prior to it my doctor put me in pain management. That doc was clear that I would become addicted to the meds and after my surgery I would be winged off. So had the surgery, got winged off after recovery.  However I never got rid of the addiction. I replaced the pills with alcohol.  I quit once before for about three months. Its seriously become a problem and I need to get it under control. So that is why I am here.  Other things about me is I love cars and have a huge passion for food.  

Anyone else get an addiction like this?

Reading this thread: