Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,559 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Caregiver for my mother, recently relapsed after 1 year

6 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Vinnyd,

I am sorry you are having a rough time right now. Being a caregiver and dealing with substance use problems can be extremely difficult.  When we are struggling emotionally or even  physically we may be more likely to self medicate with substances. Alcohol may seem to help temporarily but alcohol can make your mood more depressed and anxious. Alcohol can also impact your energy level, relationships, finances, work life, etc. The fact that you are trying to take control of alcohol now takes a lot of determination and I think the effort you are putting in now will have great benefits for you on your overall health and well being.

Relapses are extremely common with any substance use. Some even consider it a natural part of the healing process. Considering you are likely under a lot of stress as a caregiver it is understandable that you had a relapse. Try not to be too hard on yourself and focus on the learning. Here are some questions that may help:
What triggered the relapse?
How can you prevent a relapse in the future?
What did you learn from the experience?
How are you getting support as a caregiver?
Have you looked into supports in your area for caregivers? Support groups, counseling and other support services may be essential to you now.
How else are you taking care of yourself?

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome vinnyd,

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate, being a caregiver for your mother.  Good for you, coming to this forum and looking for help. How are things now for you? 
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the forums Vinny. I sobered up in AA working the 12 steps but have seen lot of people come and go. Couple of days ago, I heard that the son of a good friend of mine also in AA, drank and shot himself. Fortunately the bullet missed the heart but punctured the lungs. He is out of ICU now, breathing on his own. Feeling real miserable for surviving. Thats how ow Alcoholism takes us all. I don't know when the willingness comes to people to take action. I am sharing this not to scare you but to tell there is a way out. Millions of people in AA, CA, HA and other fellowship do get sober/clean and stay that way as long as they work the steps the best of their ability. Of course there are whole other options these days. The deal is, taking action.
6 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning Vinnyd. "Holding it together" and many similar voices can be heard and texts can be seen on this site. You are in good company with people who can truly relate to your feelings of losing control at one time or numerous times. I am one such person. The people on this forum do not have all the answers nor do I. But the one thing we all have in common is the ability to state that we have been in your place. Read through some of the other posts and threads and you will no doubt at some point exclaim, "Hey, that's me!"
6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I'm having a really rough time keeping it together.

Reading this thread: