Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

New TO group

6 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Franqy,

I am sorry to hear you had a relapse. Relapses are very common and also considered a normal part of the healing process. That being said, the disappointment after and during a relapse is very real. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Figure out what you need to learn from the relapse and keeping moving forward. We are here to support you every step of the way.

How are you doing today Franqy?

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Franqy,

Good for you for your honesty and that you came here for support. Wondering if you have determined what caused the relapse and if this is something that you can address? Speaking for myself, I found that a relapse pointed to the fact that I needed to add in more supports and/or tools to carry me through those tough times.

Stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.
6 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Foxman is absolutely right about the guilt trips we give ourselves when we relapse. We need to remind ourselves that alcoholism is a disease but unlike many physical diseases, it is one we battle constantly until one day we have simply had enough and our sanity is restored. I'm not certain whether I am providing you with good wholesome advice, but this is what I did when I had one too many relapses. I went out and bought myself enough booze to become intoxicated to the point of extreme vomiting. Me and Mr. Porcelain became good friends all night long. The next morning I was so violently ill both in my stomach and with a headache that never stopped pounding. Well that did it for me and I haven't had a drop since!
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome to the forums Franqy. Probably you are sporting lot of guilt and remorse. Thats very common thats because we think we had a choice in that relapse.

We in AA don't believe that. At that moment we took that first drink, we had absolutely no choice. Addiction took over. We were not in a mental state to catch it.Thats the real powerlessness we talk about in AA. Not the 20/30 drinks we take after. But thats a problem too. But you see normal drinker doesnt finish of a whole bottle. Perhaps a drink or two. That aside we need to address the question, did we have a choice in that matter when we were about to take that 1st drink. Sometimes we don't even think but most of the time, we would come up with "plan". This is what I am going to do. But after we take that first all bets are off. 

When we do force ourselves into sobriety we need to watch for our internal emotions. How are we handling everyday life. Are we at ease, or we able to carry normal relationship with other human beings.
6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
dealng with relapse

Reading this thread: