Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Drinking too much

6 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am doing some better.  I have now switched from wine to beer, limiting my amount.  This seems to be helping me.  Switching from what I really like to something different, I don't drink as much.  I plan to cut down from this point.  The switch was a very big deal for me.  And, I find it less to my liking, which is good.  I also don't start as early in the day now, so all working towards cutting down.  I appreciate those who have offered words of encouragement.  I really do appreciate those who realize this should be all about encorsgement of me, someone reaching out for just that.  I just need encourage,ent to continue to make positive changes.  Thanks.  
6 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I relate to everything you say here.  Completely.

I am in this position now.  How are you making out?  I feel lost.
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cryptkeeper (a.k.a. David)-Good job. Thats how we handle situations like this.
6 years ago 0 1009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Awesome!
6 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dave 848, you allude to not being confrontational and yet you use words in your post below such as "the forum is not a pulpit." And then you ask that I "use a separate thread for esoteric discussions or use the blog feature." Again you are responding in a tone of being authoritative and directional. But you are correct in that we are now BOTH digressing so I will most humbly end my diatribe to defer to Suziecue and her needs.
Cryptkeeper,

There is no confrontation and no one is being confrontational. The topic is being deflected from Susiecue. When the focus shifts from the individual reaching out almost immediately and the support diminishes, the entire purpose of the forum morphs into something else. Start a separate thread for esoteric discussions. Or use the blog feature. I deliberately didn't name any member, just pointed out the real focus of the thread was being diluted, nothing more. The forum isn't a pulpit. Drinking to excess isn't a weakness of the flesh. It's a condition that evolves over time, driven by a host of problems that need to be recognized and resolved. 

I took a break from the forum for a variety of reasons and have been checking in from time to time. When I read Susiecue's thread it resonated with me and wanted to offer support. My last comment was not one of dismissal, it was one of refocus and reaching out. So I'll do the same and ask politely......please stay out of my comments.

Thanks

D848

Good morning Dave848. It is interesting how each of us perceives matters. No doubt the focus here should be on Suziecue and others who come to the forum for help and encouragement. Yes, the last two posts may "appear" to have "devolved" from that goal but nothing could be further from the truth. It is essential that we provide all newcomers with a buffet of sorts which may involve touching on our minds and how they work to sometimes help us but also hinder us in our goal to sobriety. I hope Suziecue that you have read my last post in that light. If in any way I have not helped to encourage you then I do apologize. Dave, I will politely ask you once again to keep your opinions of what Foxman or I (ie our personal views) write to yourself and I will do likewise when you add your commentary. This is an open forum and no one individual should view himself as an overseer or referee of what is written. Your post below basically dismisses us for no valid reason. I repeat: No need to be confrontational as we have been in the past.
Hi Susiecue,

I hope you are doing well in your progress since you joined. If you are still checking in it would be great to hear how you have progressed. Conversely, if you had any set backs to your goals please share those as well as it's important to continue to move forward. I see the topic devolved in focus to an exchange of personal views regarding metaphysics, human flesh, and what not. How about we try to focus on you and what can help you push things forward?

All the best,

D848
I've read two of Eckhart's books, and he makes excellent observations about our mind. In one place, he goes as far as stating that "the instrument (the mind) has taken over us". So as you state below, we can simply "be an observer as our mind plays out its movie or craving" The important thing for us all to recognize is that we are not our minds. We are much more than that, hence why Echart refers to it as an "instrument".
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is our human flesh. It is both weak and insatiable.

Actually spiritual masters talk about that being the problem of the mind. We the sentient beings have become slaves to the instrument. But that doesn't mean we need to stop thinking, but just that thinking has taken us over. As Eckhart puts it. Becoming the observer of the mind gives us clarity. But it takes some time to bring the mind under control. For some in certain areas the collapse is instantaneous but in some other areas we will have to work for it.   

Reading this thread: