Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,565 Members

Please welcome our newest members: DeeTart, PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE

Why is it so difficult

6 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sistermaryagnes,

I am sorry to hear how you have been feeling. I am glad you are going to see a doctor about this. Many people use alcohol to self medicate for mental health concerns. As you stated, it usually makes the concerns worse and only provides a very brief moment of relief. The good news is - knowing that your mood triggers alcohol use gives you something to focus on. Working on your mental health will likely have a big impact on your alcohol use as well. You might want to check out our sister side www.depressioncenter.net - this is a program based on cognitive behaviour therapy and will give you a great head start on your treatment. The program is self-guided but I encourage you to talk about it with your doctor as well.

Keep us updated on how you are doing. I hope you feel better soon.

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I needed two things: 1) The first was to rekindle my relationship with God, and 2) a near fatal head-on collision into a concrete wall fueled by alcohol, prescription drugs and the deepest darkest depression one could imagine. I intentionally put God as number 1 as it was His grace, mercy, love, faithfulness and purposes that kept me from dying that fateful night, otherwise I would not be writing this post.
6 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I found it the hard way that my mind is warped. It would always take me back to the comfort/effect produced by alcohol. Even though, I don't like the taste of it. Thats the peculiar mental twist the book Alcoholics Anonymous talks about over and over again.

Try visiting a local AA meeting or some of the AA forums (i like e-aa.org/forum). You can get acquainted with the concepts of powerlessness and un-manageability. What you described are symptoms that arise after we put down the bottle. Our internal discomfort comes un-glued. It could take several shapes and forms. For me it was boredom, road rage, subtle depression.......
6 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
to give up something I don't even like any more? I've found my alcohol consumption increasing in direct proportion to my misery-
I'm starting with a psychiatrist at the end of the month because I have no doubt that there are underlying issues relating to depression, menopause, etc., but meantime, I'm looking for whatever support I can get. 
I get sad and lonely and then, I guess because I feel better for about an hour, I decide to drink. After that first hour? No fun at all, but by then I can't stop.
Oy, vey. 

Reading this thread: