Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,570 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

1st day here - ready to make a change FOR REAL this time

7 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I totally get it. I am now currently helping with a man who had gone to rehab in 1981 and recently to another recovery center. Finally he decided to give AA a try. He now understands the vicious cycle of alcoholism. How the internal discomfort keeps taking us back to alcohol. He is ready to do the work, has been listening to the reading and listing to the workshop material we have given him. Hope he will make it. Here is the material I am talking about:

7 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Rae,

I am glad you are continuing to reach out for help even though it has been a struggle these past few months. The fact that you still have your goal in mind despite this is great. What do you think you have learned going through these past few months? What supports you? What makes it more difficult for you. Knowing your triggers and support tools are important.

How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Rae,
Im glad you made it here, even though the circumstances werent ideal in how you got here:)

This forum is one of many tools you can use to help you get started on the right path. Theres plenty of ideas here for people to help them quit. You should tkae a look all all the different stories and ideas people have used to help them, and then see what ones work for you. Theres no right and wrong - the one that works for you is the best one. 

I will tell you this. I quit two years ago, after many unsuccessful attempts. For me, the first thing I had to change was my mindset. I pictured myself no longer drinking, and tried to imagine what that felt like. Before I quit, I wondered what I would do with my time, and how I would cope, as drinking is a time consuming venture. Once I pictured myself taking it easy at night with a pop and a good movie, or maybe a walk outside, then it started to seem like not so daunting of a task. 

So my one bit of advice is this: try to start picturing yourself after you stop drinking. Imagine waking up not being hungover! I went like that for years, and now here I am almost two years without a hangover!

Good luck  my friend. Check in often and update us. 
Gus
7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, I am Rae.

I have really been struggling to stop drinking over the past few months.  I have gone to detox, lost my job, and I am currently attending an intensive outpatient program.  Despite it all, I am still drinking. I should be at my group right now but I was too hungover to get up on time and felt I might still have a bac, making driving a bad idea.  

I would love to find some support through these forums.  Please reach out if you have a helping hand to offer.

Thanks so much!

Reading this thread: