Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,571 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

Trying to Stop a bad habit

7 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome pokey,

Stopping the cycle can be difficult but it certainly can be done. What have you tried already? Has anything helped you in the past?

It sounds like cooking dinner is a trigger for you. Is there any way you can work on that? Can you drink a special non alcoholic drink while cooking? Can you play music or some up with another distraction to change up the dinner making routine?

How can you remind yourself of the way you feel the next day? What can you say or write to yourself to remind yourself that alcohol will lead to discomfort? Posting reminders, using alarms around trigger times and other external cues may help to keep you on track?

Members, what do you suggest?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 286 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Pokey!  Lots of us don't have the physical symptoms of alcohol abuse or even the social consequences either yet.  But, for myself, I found it was a psychological dependence that I hated; the feeling that it eased social events, gave me a reward after a tough day, relieved stress---until it didn't work as well but I thought I still needed it. The idea that it was such an integral part of my life that I couldn't see socializing without it, or celebrating important events.  Even if I felt a little awful the next day, it was a habit and my go-to-solution for many things so I didn't really reconsider.  Once I decided that I had  to make a change, I gathered as many tools as I could find to support myself (and there are lots available) and if you need to see a doctor, or go to AA, or to rehab. you will do that before it gets so much harder to make the change.  The journey seems different for everyone but the priority must be not to drink.   It is not easy at first; changing any habit is not easy. But it does get much easier and your success gives you confidence. Good luck to you and keep posting.
7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'll try to be succinct. I dont drink every day, usually 4-5 days per week. When I do its commonly only2 drinks which can be either 2 beers, 2 glasses of wine or 2 scotches depending on what I prefer that day. I have had none of the common social problems associated with ETOH use, such as DUI, job loss, etc. I never drink in the monrnings or for lunch and never after 7pm as its getting to late in the day and to close to bed time. The common scenario is a couple drinks while preparing dinner. But here's the thing,  those two drinks often can make me feel bad the next morning.  Without getting into a long complicated medical description of why that happens, I know why, but I need to stop those two drinks each day. I know they make me feel bad most days, not all, but most days, but I keep doing it. Its like a couple drinks each day is a part of who I am if that makes any sense. I can stop a couple days, get lots of good exercise, start feeling great and then repeat the cycle and there I am again feeling bad. How does one stop a cycle like this? 

Reading this thread: