Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,545 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

desperate...

14 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lisa,

I'm new here too and I can relate to what you said. It's one of the most frightening things in the world when you feel like you've lost control of yourself, and it hurts when the people you depend on emotionally are having trouble understanding what you're going through and assume that you're just being selfish. I get it. They're human too. But it still hurts.

The way I see it, it's not so much about being 'selfish' as it is kind of like having fallen down a deep hole that's opened up inside us. The center of our own personal universe has shifted to the bottom of that hole and we're walking around in tight little circles because climbing out just seems impossible. The ritual of drinking with our friends/co-workers fulfills our need to belong and the buzz we get off the alcohol is the fastest and easiest way to get relief from the pain, sadness and exhaustion of living. Why not? To us it's obvious that our immediate needs are getting met. One or two drinks is not enough because we need to keep that beautiful, effortless yet artifical sense of relief going and so we keep reaching blindly and stop counting. It's literally a no brainer. We're filling up the hole with alcohol and letting ourselves drown in it. How sad is that?

I'm not saying that I have the answers. It's fairly obvious I don't and that's why I'm here. I gave up on having any kind of social life a long time ago. I drink alone.  I drink and watch movies, surf the internet or just listen to music and live in my head until the floor starts to look strangely comfortable and I curl up there and go to sleep (aka pass out). When I pull into the driveway at the end of a long day I hide bottles in my purse so that the neighbours don't see me carrying yet another bag from the liquor store into the house. I hate it, but at the same time just the idea of getting drunk feels so wonderful that I look forward to it with an anticipation greater than anything in my life. It took me a long time to see it for what it was: suicide.

I understand the fact that I need to learn to hate it, but at the same time I wonder if hate is not the answer. It was self-hatred that got me into this mess. All I've got to hang onto right now is the sessions with my therapist, this website and attitude.  I try to visualize myself as being responsible for writing, directing and starring in a big budget hollywood movie in which I'm both the victim and the heroine. The climax of the story is the part where I save myself because I'm destined to. I'm the good guy. It's a given. When all hope is lost I somehow manage to find that reserve of inner strength and conquor the bad guy. Of course that's without the multi-million dollar paycheck that most stars get, but hey, you can't win them all. ;-) 

We'll get there.

Ellabee

14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lisa,

Thank you for sharing your story.  You have come to the right place, we are all in this together here.  You have made some very important realizations.  There is a light at the end of this tunnel. Do not wait until you hit rock bottom to make a change; change now.  You can do this. 

Read through the program post often and look into resources in your community.  There are plenty of confidential services that you can benefit from.  Counseling, is a great option and the counselor may even be able to refer you to other avenues of support. 

Talk to your boyfriend when you are ready.  Perhaps after you have put some work into the program he will trust in your quit. You need to do this for you now; no one else but you.  You deserve better, you know you do.   Post as often as you like.  It is going to be difficult but the rewards will far out weigh the hard times.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello. I found this site while desperately searching for something or someone to help.
I had never had a problem before, but in 2002 I moved back to my home state and started going to school full time and found the best job for me was a bartending job I could do on the weekends and weekday nights. Thats when it all began. Every night we were allowed an aftershift drink. It got to the point where I'd have 2 or 3.. sometimes 4. I lived close enough to walk home. Over time my drinking got progressively worse, not daily, but binging. Pretty soon I was binging every weekend and my weekend would be shot due to hangovers. Before things became this way I'd met a wonderful man, but now my binge drinking is really taking a toll on him. After several warnings and talks he's given me, I do it again and again. This last time (2 nights ago) was the worse as my mother had to drive me home. I dont remember anything and I was so drunk I had to have help walking and then started vomitting. My boyfriend is SO disappointed in me, as I am myself. The past couple of years have been very difficult. I went through an ugly custody battle, my son had to be transferred to a special ed classroom for his severe adhd and has been recently diagnosed bipolar with tons of school meetings and doctor appts, and I just graduated from a professional program and am starting a new career - one of which does not support alcoholism. Ive come to the conclusion that anytime a drink touches my lips that there will ALWAYS be a negative consequence... but it's the lack of self control that is the problem for me. My family drinks - its always around and once I start I dont stop. I don't know why, I'm not stupid.. I know better..but do it anyways. My bf thinks I always do it on purpose and that I don't care about him or our family because I don't stop and come home. I can't explain it... and he is beginning to hate me for it. I've told him I'd quit before.... and I don't. So now that I'm at the point where I can't do this anymore he doesn't believe me.. when I need his help more than ever. I don't know exactly how to tell him that I have a problem and I need help without him thinking it's just another hopeless attempt to quit. I've thought about AA meetings but my profession would be impacted...
I'm going to give this thing a shot.... I guess I'm just looking for some advice and similar stories. All I know is I cannot live like this anymore or hurt my family anymore.

Reading this thread: