Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

3rd and final attempt (2nd day)

10 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Determinator!

Your username suits you well. You sound determined and prepared for this. It is great that you have the self awareness to know that drinking is not a good idea right now. Drinking is a huge trigger for many so avoiding alcohol is a good idea. Blogging is another good choice. You are on a roll!

Keep us updated.

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, theres nothing wrong with drinking less alcohol !!  Im the same way, which is why I CANNOT drink right now.  The drinking beers with some friends or at a gig we are playing isn't a problem, its the smoking that comes with it that's the problem... and its twice as bad when Im drinking.  Thanks for the kind words !!! I think I'll start a new blog for today !
10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Determinator,

Congratulations on Day 3. You are correct that the first 3 will be the hardest.

You are also wise to avoid alcohol for a while, as it can be a big trigger. I ended up avoiding it for a long time, as being triggered to smoke while drinking made the whole thing downright unpleasant for a while. Then later, I found that drinking simply wasn't as fun without cigarettes; I think I may have been getting more into the smoking binge that so often accompanies alcohol than I was getting into the alcohol. As a result, I now drink way less than I did before I quit smoking. ...I think that's a good thing, right? 

Anyway, here's to entering Day 4 with the nicotine out of your system. Feel free to come on for reading, posting, questions, support, etc. as you move through the quitting process.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,587.90

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 603 Hours: 20

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sleeping may be a problem for a while but you are just going to have to tough it out. It is a small price to pay and  it will improve in time.

I agree that you should change your route to work if you can ( I did) and change any other repetitive routines that cause you unwanted triggers at this time.

Day by day or hour by hour. If you really want this, and I mean REALLY, you will succeed.

Good Luck! 
  • Quit Meter

$56,881.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1126 Hours: 16

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi stick with it, we are all rooting for you! Viv N.O.P.E. XXX
  • Quit Meter

$28,483.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 516 Hours: 15

Minutes: 36 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Determinator!

One more thing that I forgot to mention.  Set up a reward system for yourself and read more about that in the Program!  Rewards can be low or no-cost and to me were an essential part of my quit!  The best reward I set up for myself was my end of the day reward for making it through the day smoke-free... a beer!  Being a beer snob, what better reward could I look forward to?    I know you said that you are abstaining from alcohol, but maybe there is some goodie that you dearly love that you could use for a reward to keep you on the straight and narrow every day!  It worked for me in the beginning of my quit and is still working to this day! 

Good idea to change up your routines to avoid whatever triggers you can for a while!  Another good idea is to detail the inside of your car and maybe the house to get rid of that nasty cigarette smell!  Fabreeze (spelling?) really helps to eliminate that smell from upholstery and carpet!  Above all, start thinking of yourself as a non-smoker who is committed to living your life by N.O.P.E., Not One Puff Ever!!!  Be proud of your smobriety! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,332.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1061 Hours: 2

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you guys for the support !!  Im on Day 3 today... still not sleeping real good... waking up almost every hour for some reason... just cant get comfortable... really hoping this will pass tonight or tomorrow night. Ive heard the first 3 days are the worst PHYSICALLY.   I think I need to find another route to and from work though.  I go down roads that I would always light up a cig and need to avoid those for a while I think.  But... so far so good.. NOT EVEN A DRAG since Sunday night at 9pm.  Staying positive... the weekend will be the true test I think.  Thanks again for the support and advise !!  I will definetly try to stay downwind or outside when giging around town with the band.
10 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Determinator,

Yes you have a long road ahead of you, but you already have established areas when you will have difficulties, and you are taking steps to help yourself.  Try keeping iced water handy to sip on when you have a crave, it may help.  I was awash for the first few weeks.

Jim & Breather have given good advice already.

Whatever it takes, just don't smoke! 

Love Lolly.    
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Determinator!!!

Welcome and congratulations on your decision to quit!  This may well be the hardest thing that you will ever do, but it will also be the best gift you will ever give yourself... better health and FREEDOM!!!   It all starts with wanting your quit more than you want to smoke and it sounds like you ARE determined!  Awesome!!!

Stick close, continue on with the Program and read and learn from your new quit buddies here!  There is a wealth of information here that will be helpful to you on your journey from those who have quit before you.  Got a question?  Just ask! 

Being in your situation as a band member will be very challenging for you!  Try to stay upwind of the smoke and try to take plenty of breaks in the fresh clean air!  If you want this and you are the "Determinator", I have faith that you will be victorious!  We're all rooting for you, buddy!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,332.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1061 Hours: 2

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 44

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Determinator welcome. If you're as determined as I was and still am not to smoke you will succeed. Instead of dragging on a cigarette take a drink of ice cold water anytime you get a crave. Also great idea to put the alcohol down for a while as well. Remember that what you're going through is temporary and will get better in time. Sounds like you're ready to slay the dragon. This could very well be the fight of your life but if you're as determined to win as I was you'll do it. Break the chains that bind you and be a slave no more. Excellent for you for not smoking today. breather

Reading this thread: