Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,488 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA, DSHAIRRA PE, CLOVELY GRACE

The fear of giving up smoking.................

11 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to sadly report that hell week has been uneventful and has not lived up to its reputation! I have not smoked, I have not chewed and I have nailed every crave that has come along. Actually I am quite pleased with myself!

This is why it is a quite dangerous time for people stopping smoking. There is the danger that you get complacent and smug..............

Just remember Brent (I am saying to myself), you took one puff two years ago and undid a four year quit!

Keep on sucking fresh clean air folks!

Mad Englishman
11 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brentw1. 

Just deep breaths and  the cravings will go away, and remember just one hour at the time. 

Tell us how you feel with hell week  being over and  say hello to heck week.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm doing OK as I get into the seventh day. I will not be posting much over the next two days as I am working away and in a hotel overnight. I used to puff my way through about 7 or 8 cigars in the carpark at this place so I am going to break a few cues tonight!

I will be watching the Champions league football and having a nice bath instead.

mad and nicotine free englishman! 
11 years ago 0 153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Terrific post Brent!  Many of those points hit home with me.  As time moves on it's easy to get complacent and forget all those reasons why we don't want to smoke and then  . . . wham . . . the addiction sucks us back in again.  I so appreciate my freedom (although it's not complete because I still haven't weaned completely off the NRTs) and my newfound health and energy.  I also liked the point about always being smokers who choose not to smoke.  This agian goes back to the need for vigilance and not allow ourselves to be fooled by the call of the demon saying things such as "well it's been long enough, I think I can have one".  We can NEVER have one!
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brent,

Many good ideas here. The lighted smoke in the crotch while driving... Yup (sigh) ....good times! (sarcasm)  I might have to borrow that one for my random posts on random reasons to be happy that we quit, unless you want to put it there first. 

You're really working the mental aspects of the program. Must seem like an intensive review of old material for you. I think you're going to get this out of your system for good this time.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,500.35

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 12

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 6

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also say Wow ! Brentw1
Very well written.So many of your reasons to quit hit home with me.
I am almost at 50 days and have really been thinking about the receiving side of quitting as you put it.
The smell and smelling nice has really been noticable.
My other half is still smoking which bothers me some as I don't want to smell like his smokes either.
I definately prefer to take my car when we go out.
I am still dealing with some healing processes like sore throat etc.but overall I am feeling better.
Now that it is turning cold I really wont miss wasting time out in the cold.
I think I approach things calmer now than I did when I smoked,I was worried I would be the opposite as people have always said I need to slow down.
I am doing some research on foods that increase your metabolism as I am still trying to watch the weight gain thing.
I will find the right ones for me eventually
Thanks again for your writings
Strength to all in your quits
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Brentw1 - some powerful words that conjure up images that will hopefully dissuade any quitter from lighting up again!  How do you see yourself now at the end of 1 week smoke-free?
More importantly, how will you reward yourself?!
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Brent!!!

Day 6 almost at an end for you and the end of Hell Week tomorrow!  I know that you are going to succeed and NEVER go back to those nasty cigars again because you will NOT want to go through this week ever again, right?  Hang in there, buddy!  You CAN do this!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,205.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1058 Hours: 1

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 51

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Is fear why so many people find it so difficult to give up smoking?

How am I going to cope?

Will I enjoy life without my little friend?

Can I cope with losing my prop?

WELL LETS JUST STOP RIGHT THERE!

Giving up what!

It's the most powerful thing in the addiction's arsenal..........creating the illusion that somehow, and in some way we will be losing out, giving up something wonderful and that there will be a gap in our lives. That social occasions will be a disaster, that we won't enjoy food any more and a thousand other junkie thoughts and excuses that our hijacked brain will trick us into believing.

Stop thinking of stopping smoking as anything else other than receiving things!

It's like Christmas...................

Wonderful things, like time (that we used to spend in the rain or the cold feeding a chemical addiction), our sense of taste and smell, better lung function and circulation, money in our pockets and freedom from having to top up the drug in the system every time the half-life of nicotine passed.

And in my case, the satisfaction of having made it through another day with complete freedom from nicotine and just a little of my self-respect back.

But odd habits die hard (and horribly and probably of lung cancer so pun fully intended)...............if you must insist on giving up, then give up..........

Stinking clothes

Your daughter's tears as she smells the smoke on your clothes again

Your wife's look as you pretend that she has not caught you smoking again

Not being able to help your son at university as much as you want to because you are spending £250 a month on cigars

Your self respect as you make another excuse to sneak off and smoke instead of doing something with the family

On average, 15 years of life.

Trying to nail jelly to the ceiling............

And when you succeed in stopping smoking, and you will if you truly want to............................never forget that we are smokers who choose not to smoke...............and that one single puff of a cigar derailed my four year, my thousand day plus quit.

Love life and go for it!

Mad Englishman

P.S

Things to do before you die.

Take a great big lung busting sniff of an overflowing pub ashtray after a shower of rain..........

Drink milk that has gone off because your sense of smell is shot..............

Pick up a discarded fag end from the gutter and light it..............

Go out late at night because you have run out of smokes only to find the shops are all shut...............

Search the house late at night trying to find a packet with one left in it..................

Burn a hole in your favourite shirt.................

Lie to your family about not smoking...............

Wash your hands and clean your teeth incessantly so that no-one knows you are a smoker..................

Fight for breath half way up a Lakeland Fell as you fall behind your friends on a walk...............

Freeze to death as you are forced outside to smoke in the rain and the cold..................

Buy smokes instead of food................

Drop a lighted smoke in your crutch whilst driving...............

Cough up great lumps of god knows what....................

Fall asleep to the sound of burbling and wheezing...................

Choose to be a smoker who does not smoke before its too late.

Reading this thread: