Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Your guide to quitting ? But I?ve failed before

11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Matt  Great topic ! I'm sure that I tried more than 7 times to stop smoking and probably more if we count the times where I didn't last the morning without caving in and running to the store. You know , I always bought into how hard it was to quit smoking. I tried just about everything that was available at times. I tried with the patch , gum , wellbutrin , etc. to no avail. I remember that the U.S. Surgeon General came out with the statement that " It was harder to stop using heroin than cigarettes ", further sealing my fate as a smoker because I bought into it. I failed twice around the 6 week mark at various times which was the longest I'd been able to stay stopped up until now. I was resigned to the fact that I'd always be a smoker. My last quit attempt was cold turkey. I was so angry at the price I had to pay for a pack of cigarettes and felt like a sucker for paying it. I just said enough is enough and I'm not smoking any more. I was determined that I wasn't going to smoke under any circumstances and so far I've been able to resist the need to pick up a cigarette. In the early days I stayed quit by sheer determination and stubbornness. Today I stay quit because I like not being a smoker and I'm happy that I don't need to do that any more. If you're new to the quitting process remeber that every quit attempt however short in duration paves the way for that final quit so never be discouraged. We learn by our mistakes and failures. If I can stop you can as well ( if you really want it ). Excellent for you. breather Don 
11 years ago 0 218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
To all those who have recently made the decision to quit,

Many individuals who are contemplating quitting are often discouraged by the following thought: “I tried to quit before and failed.”

Well, did you learn how to smoke in one day? How long did it take you become addicted? You surely didn’t become a full time smoker in a few hours. Just like you learned how to smoke, you need to learn how to become a non-smoker.

Research scientists have found that most people try to quit seven times before they succeed.

Members,

Tell us how many attempts you made before being successful and the techniques that have lead you to be smoke free?
Let our new quitters know they are not alone!

Matt - Health Educator

Reading this thread: