Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Who and What has helped you the most?

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Without any doubt I would not have 45 days under my belt if I would not have found SSC.
The "what" is simple - the patch. It is also the right timing - even though it never seems like a good time to quit .... I used to find so many reasons NOT to quit. This time, I just did it. 
The "who" - I was talking about the SSC family here, the ones that keep you going through the rough patches and pat you on the back for your achievements - whether they are 1 day, 30 days or 500... That seems to do the trick every time for me. I have a couple of people that I feel watch over my quit. And those are the ones I feel I don't want to let down if I slip, relapse or lose my quit completely. So even if I am grateful for each and everyone of you guys, my heroes are Tresa and Impalamania - you guys are awesome!!! And of course, the one that has my back at home, my 10 y.o daughter - says I make her proud... awww.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 45
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,575
Amount Saved: $204.75
Life Gained:
Days: 4 Hrs: 4 Mins: 51 Seconds: 43

14 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Who: My 7 year old boy Sam said - "You are so stupid for smoking... the people who sell cigarrettes only want to kill you ..........(upon immature reflection).........well maybe they don't want to kill you but they just want your money and they don't care whether you die or not". These words had a profound effect upon me and made me determined not to be a mug or slave to nicotine again. My family and friends helped also but to be honest the main person to help with my quit was myself.

What:   Determination, belief, NRT, this website, Gillian Riley and Alan Carr's stop smoking books, keeping a list of reasons to quit in my back pocket all the time to refer to in times of need. Reminding myself that every day without a cigarrette is a cause of celebration.

Keep up the good fight.

Scruffy.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 74
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,776
Amount Saved: �759.24
Life Gained:
Days: 10 Hrs: 23 Mins: 35 Seconds: 43

14 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
who - without a doubt , the guy that has become my good friend here , jim Hot Sio2 .obviously everyone here on this board has been a lot of help , but jim and i formed a friendship that now extends even off of this site , and i just love him for what he did for me.

what - planning and prayer.and i prayed at time for help in my planning.

mike/astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 617
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 18,510
Amount Saved: $5,553.00
Life Gained:
Days: 104 Hrs: 13 Mins: 12 Seconds: 55

14 years ago 0 802 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The whos:  Every single person that's ever posted on this site, mods definitely included, and Mr. Jazz (my hero-we saved each other).  Those are my key players, and what a team it is!  Without that combination, I truly don't think I would have succeeded. Every post has something I take from it.  

The whats:  Mr. Patch, determination, will power, postive attitude (most times!), strength, and the confidence in myself to say "I can do this".    and I did

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/3/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 686
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,720
Amount Saved: $5,213.60
Life Gained:
Days: 74 Hrs: 21 Mins: 2 Seconds: 32

14 years ago 0 280 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'll have to say that without SSC I'm not sure I would of made it this far...  The support from this site has been awesome.  It's amazing how little things like virtual cruise ships and trips to the beach (even though not real) gives you that extra little push to make it just a little bit further...  the train rides and the Monday morning parade with my SSC friends are also fun :o)... looking at my milage everyday and not wanting to start at 0 again is also a great motivator.... 

The thread from Duffis (When will they end?)... Well, it ended quite a few Tuesdays ago... amazing post... thank you Duffis... After reading that post I've realized that I was my own worst enemy and if I was going to stick with this quit I had to stop feeling sorry for myself and believe that I was a non-smoker...Its almost like a weight was lifted off my shoulders that day... Smoking was no longer an option for me... so I had to stop beating myself over the head about it...

Also my friends and family were very supportive....  The NRT also played a role in my quit, they definately took the edge off and made my quit soo much easier (happy to say that I have been NRT free for about 1 month now.. whooo hooo :o)).

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 6/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 171
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,591
Amount Saved: $1,005.48
Life Gained:
Days: 15 Hrs: 6 Mins: 36 Seconds: 52

• Quit Meter

$32,104.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 666 Hours: 3

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 230 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
NRT, Family, friends support and this web site. 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 12
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 540
Amount Saved: $135.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 10 Mins: 53 Seconds: 27

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with Janet. This quit has been a team effort. I would have had a more difficult time without this site. My aunt and my very good friend asking me to quit helped a lot, too. I didn't think anyone cared, but me. They showed me others do as well. Let me not forget prayer.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 201
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,628
Amount Saved: $2,180.85
Life Gained:
Days: 22 Hrs: 0 Mins: 9 Seconds: 4

14 years ago 0 389 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This website has helped me the most in this journey!  I've spent more time on here this past week and it's been SO wonderful for me to have you all. 
As far as "who" - there really isn't any one specific person - more like a large group of people.  My husband, son,  and mother first and foremost, but everyone on this website.

N.O.P.E.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/9/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 162
Amount Saved: $42.53
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 23 Mins: 51 Seconds: 6

14 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What has helped you the most in this journey?
Who has helped you the most in this journey?

Share with us as we can all learn from one another!

Reading this thread: