Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

I slipped today!!!!!

18 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm so disappointed in myself because I had about 4 drags off of a cigarette this morning. I was having a pretty bad argument with my father-in -law (I guess you could call it a fight) and I stormed out to my car where I knew that I still had a cigarette from before I started my quit. (I know that was my first mistake, thinking that I had the strength to resist in the first place.) Before I lit it I paused for a brief 15 seconds and I thought about it but then I said to myself "Oh bleep it! Just one isn't going to hurt!" It tasted so disgusting that I wasn't interested in smoking the whole thing anymore. I stamped it out and got rid of the rest. I found out that I do have a breaking point and my biggest trigger is anger. I think about it now and I realize that is how I've always dealt with anger, the first thing I do is look for a cigarette. I have to come up with a plan on how to deal with those emotions without killing the other person. I think that maybe I'll try a good brisk walk next time. It's just that for so many years that is what I did to cope and it's not going to be easy to re-teach myself, however, now that I know what is my biggest trigger, I can plan ahead. This has been a huge learning lesson for me and has taught me alot about myself. I'm kind of struggling with whether or not I should reset my quit meter can someone please tell me does less than half of cigarette require me to reset my quit meter? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 358 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
Thank you Rusty! Your right, I don't feel like I lost my quit but at the same time I now know that any kind of traumatic event could easily put me back to being a full-time smoker. So, I guess, I'll try to use the smaller "events" as practice in case there is ever a really big one. With this in mind, I think I can do it next time. Instead of telling myself that "one cigarette won't hurt", I need to tell myself "Not One Puff Ever!!!!" Thanks for listening... I feel better already! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 358 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $85 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
Yes Shevie, great idea... unless of course that person happens to be my 3 year old son... or... it backfires and that person ends up beating the pulp out of me... in which case... bad idea... Anyways thanks for the words of wisdom, it would really feel like the last 17 days didn't even count for anything if I had to reset my meter. Moving forward with my quit, Tanya [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 371 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $90 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Didn't sound like a slip to me.....more of a little stumble with a recovery before you hit the floor. Print the post and staplegun it to a suitably sensitive area of his body if he upsets you again (the father-in law that is!) Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 281 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �200 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a suggestion, Tanya. Next time, instead of smoking, just beat him/her to a bloody pulp. That way you haven't smoked, nor have you killed. And the other person will think real serious about pushing you too far next time. Win, Win, Win! :eg: Don't reset your meter unless you feel you need to in order to reprimand yourself. Resetting the meter denies the 17 days you've fought through to reach this point. I don't think that's fair to you. You can't undo years of smoking in a couple of weeks, nor can you undo 17 days of quit with 4 puffs. The slip is a lesson learned. Move forward with your quit. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 238 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,761 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $904.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 989 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I love this idea. Have to admit it is not original. Like everything else about not smoking, I learned it HERE! Anway, get a bunch of cheap crockery or china dishes at the next garage sale you pass by...or at valu village or something. Next time you are sooo angry that the only thing you can think about is smoking, go throw the plates at some surface (like a tree - preferably with thick skin :) or crush them in a box with a sledge hammer (wear goggles). It is sooooooooooooo rewarding! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 277 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,927 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $969.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$794,815.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5683 Hours: 7

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tanya, of course it is up to you whether or not you reset your quit meter, but it doesn't sound to me like you lost your quit. It sounds like you took a hit and immediately realized what you were doing. Just get right back on your plan is my advice. Isn't it amazing how we learn so much about ourselves when we go through this quitting adventure? You should be proud that you are using your experience to learn your strengths as well as your weaknesses. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 398 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,170 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1393 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
  • Quit Meter

$54,849.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 18

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Crazy, Re-setting is up to the individual :) You know where you are and what makes you. Keep your quit and realize your mistake or mishap. You can learn from it. We are always here for you, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: