Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Trying to Quit, Once Again.

7 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

It sounds like you really want this quit. That is an excellent place to start. How do you think your life will be different once smoking is no longer a part of it? How do you think your day to day life will change?
Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey everyone!

I'm about to try and quit smoking (again), and I'm looking for a bit of encouragement and support.

I first started when I was around 15 or 16 (I'm 28 now). From then, until I was around 24, I smoked around 20-30 a day. Since the age of 24, I've had the desire to quit, and I've tried many times. I've tried cold turkey, patches, lozenges and e-cigarettes. On the e-cigarette, I lasted about a year without a single real cigarette, but eventually I fell back into my old ways. I've even managed months on end when the only time I would have a cigarette was when I've had a drink. Problem is, smoking like this always leads back to me smoking full time. I want to quit altogether so badly, but as soon as I get stressed or have a couple of beers, I smoke. I recently moved to Austria, and it's even more difficult here because cigarettes are so much cheaper, smoking in bars is allowed, and it seems like everybody smokes! I know that I need to take the plunge and learn to drink without smoking, but it's so much harder than it sounds. If I'm out at a bar, and I can't have a cigarette, it just occupies my mind and puts a downer on my evening. And then, inevitably, I will either go and buy some or borrow one of the many smokers that I'll probably be with. To anyone that doesn't smoke, this probably sounds a bit silly, but it's such a struggle.

I'm desperate to quit because, well, we all know the health implications, financial implications etc. I want to lead a more healthy lifestyle and not waste so much money on this ridiculous habit! I hike a lot and I've started playing squash, so I'd really like to kick the smoking and improve my fitness.

Thanks for reading, I hope you're all doing well with your own efforts  

Reading this thread: