Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,558 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Where does motivation come from?

7 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi GreenEggsAndHam,

Motivation:
  the general desire or willingness of someone to do something.
      1. Live a long and healthy life.
      2. Raise a family and watch them grow old with you. 
      3. Don't die a slow and "gruesome" death.
      4. Don't make your loved ones watch you die a slow and "gruesome" death.

Take the time and read through the forums here and will find literally hundreds of other reasons for quitting smoking. The reasons for quitting are out there, but you have to have the desire to quit. It's all up to you and you alone. Nobody else can quit for you. You fail and it's your fault. You succeed and you did it all on your own. Celebrate the successes, learn from the failures and never give up. You will be fighting the Nicodemon for the rest of your life, but if you win your quit, it will be a long and healthy life. (Hopefully!)

There are a number of anecdotes tucked away in the forums too. Read, read read!

Stay strong.
N.O.P.E. 
  • Quit Meter

$23,262.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 774 Hours: 3

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

7 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi GreenEggsAndHam,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on starting to think seriously about quitting. The fact that you are here is an excellent first step. Machiavelli offers some great questions. It might also be helpful to make a pros and cons list for smoking or a list of reasons why you want to quit. It is great to keep this list close at hand. Other members have said taking to their doctor about quit aids, posting actively in the forum, reading the forum and reading Allen Carrs book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" have all been helpful in increasing their motivation. Finding motivation really requires thought and individual preference. Reflect on what has motivated you in the past or what might help more now. How do you think you can increase your motivation to quit?
Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 361 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How many cigarettes you smoke in 24 H?  .... Do you have enough money to continue smoke every month ?  ....Do you have something to live for?.
7 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

I'm a 29 year old guy who's smoked since I was 17. I quit for 2 years, but I started again about 3 months ago. I was stressed, and somehow I convinced myself I could buy a pack, get it out of my system and then go back to being "quit". Obviously, that didn't work out. 

I've made halfhearted quit efforts a few times in the past few months, with not much of a plan besides buying nicotine patches. Within less than 24 hours I'm back to smoking. I get in this mindset where I just don't care. I tell myself I'll quit later, and I imagine 100 reasons why quitting right now is impractical. I tell myself I deserve to smoke, that because of circumstances it makes sense to indulge. I'm in a strange fluctuation stage in life. I work from home, and I'm in Thailand for another month before I return to America to do God knows what. Somehow I use that fact to justify smoking.

Anyways, I've been reading the forums here, and I really like what I've seen. When I quit drinking 2 years ago, I was successful in large part because of the online support I found. I'm glad to have found this place. I've also been working on a quit plan to use, but I know that ultimately the deciding factor in this quit's success will be my own willpower, and I'm scared that I lack it. If anyone has any anecdotes or wisdom about finding motivation to really kick the habit, I'd love to hear it. Smoking killed my father over a few gruesome years, so you'd think that little bit of history would be enough to get me to kick the habit, but here I am. 

Thanks for reading. 

Reading this thread: