Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,557 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

Need Support to Stop - I think its What I?m Missing

7 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Jay2454,

I am sorry to hear about your recent health problems. It does sound like a good time to work on quitting smoking. You have certainly come to the right place. This is a great place to get started. Be sure to work on the program to create a quit plan - also read through the forums to find discussions that pertain to you. The more prep work you put into this the more likely you will be successful.

Have you had any previous quit attempts in the past? Are you aware of what might be helpful to you now?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
    Quitting is a mission for many of us who manage to quit. Smoking is an addiction. Learning to be a nonsmoker is a journey...not something that happens 10 minutes after declaring, "I quit." If you want to quit, you need to create your own quit plan based on what you know about yourself. When I prepared to quit, I tapered down so that I could test not smoking when I wanted to smoke most of all (usually when angry, frightened...all the flight or fight stuff). When I quit I had a very long list of options and to dos written down regarding dealing with anxiety; my list included anything and everything that I thought might be helpful--straws for fake smoking, a no-nicotine e-cig (never used it)--my list was much longer than these two things. 
    I'm no hero, and I certainly did not manage to quit because I was strong and fearless and just jumped in with a song on my lips and a happy glint in my eye...it was painful. I learned as I quit that I put cigarettes first--unlearning this twist of the mind has been hard work. Learning to be a nonsmoker was painstaking for me, but I kept at it and keep at it, because it bothered me that I loved smoking more than anything, that I would go to any length to have a cigarette. I wasn't happy unless I could have my smoke...what an awful state of dependency that is. I knew in my heart if I loved smoking above all else, then there was no bottom low enough to stop me.
    I made a commitment to try, made a plan,  suffered the insanity of letting go...I'm free enough today, but don't envy me because I must keep learning to be a nonsmoker one day at a time. I "luved um" too much to take my quit for granted. 
    Find your strengths and use those strengths to design and craft a process for freeing yourself from cigarettes --an approach you can get on board with...make that plan your own...top to bottom. My two cents worth. Good luck, no one is too dependent on cigarettes to find a way out, dig down deep, and after you do that, dig down deeper...keep digging...you will find your way.
7 years ago 0 361 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

you can do it..

7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi - I'm hoping to find some support on this site in my attempts to quit.  I'm a 40 year old male, and have been smoking for roughly 25 years on an off.  Over the last few years, I've been smoking rapidly and hard as if it doesn't do enough for me anymore.  I hadn't noticed it until now.  None of my friends smoke and I hide it with most.  If I'm out, I usually deal with not having any cigarettes. But, the second I get home I puff away like crazy.  

In any event, about 2.5 months ago my neck / throat starting to hurt and it continues to this day. When I swallow, I have a bad pain on my right side.  I went to the ENT who diagnosed me with LPR (GERDs older brother), and now I'm also scheduled for a battery of tests (i.e. Barium Swallow, Thyroid Ultrasound, Bloodwork, etc).  My appetite is almost non existent and my energy levels are poor.  At 40, I'm in the height of my career and have everything I want for the most part. I shouldn't be wanting to sleep all day and I feel like I'm reverting back to my teenage years where I was a professional sleeper.

Here's the issue - I'm suffering now physiologically and notwithstanding any significantly bad test results, I know I need to quit; this just be my wake up call, whether the health issue is related to smoking or not, I'd be stupid if I didn't start to take this seriously.  I live alone, no kids, no wife sadly.  Not even a steady GF to help support me through this attempt at quitting.  Because I'm a close smoker, I really don't have much of a support group that I can rely on.  I know I need to do it and it is constantly on my mind.  I need some help and or recommendations from folks that have been there and are going through the same thing that can offer some advice.

I appreciate the read and envy those that have kicked this addiction.  I need to start somewhere so hoping this is the spot.  

jay  

Reading this thread: