Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,559 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

worried for my dad who chew tobbacco all the time. Cant see him die infront of me.

7 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Ankur,

I find your dedication to your father's health very admirable. You clearly care a lot for your father. I have to say though that the doctor was right: you cannot force someone to quit smoking; they have to want to quit on their own. In fact, the more you push the more resistant people tend to become. When someone is pushed to do something they do not want to do they get defensive and do not really listen to what others have to say. He could see a counsellor who specializes in Motivational Interviewing - this may be helpful. But again if he is not ready there is not much you can do.

How is your father doing today? Did the Doctor rule out anything serious?

Ashley, Health Educator
7 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there, 
              My dad is an addict and he chew tobbacco all the time. My mother, sister and myself has pleaded to stop quiting tobacco. But he doesnt listen to anyone. Its been almost 10 years and now, I am extremely worried. Yesterday, he had some sores in his mouth and he is going to see doctor today. I hope nothing unusual happens. But the way he is going on with his life, sooner or later he will be in big trouble.

Now, if something bad happens like cancer, we will be ruined. In this part of world, he only has $4000 medical insurance.

Now, I have tried various ways. We told him to meet psychiatrist. She asked me father "Do you want to quit?" and my father said "No". She said that unless patient is interested in quitting, she will not start medicine. But, I insisted and she gave him some tablets. But, dad didnt take them for more than 3 days.

He is making fool of us by throwing medicine in toilet.

I confronted him and said "Dad, you are going to kill yourself" and he planly said "I dont care, if I die". Now, this is the stupidiest   thing, I have ever heard. How can someone accept death instead of quitting tobbacco. 

Now, I am completely sober. I am 30 and till date, I have not touched any cigratte, drugs, alcohol, beer or even non vegetarian. I am completely vegetarian.

Sometimes, I feel like I should quit my day job and rent a house in some remote hilly place. I should stay there with my dad for 4 months . There should not be a single person in 10 mile radius. He shouldnt be able to buy tobacco.Please tell me, what should I do? 

Reading this thread: