Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,546 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

I have to start somewhere!!!! So, this is my starting point, Introduction

12 years ago 0 168 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good luck, Starship. We'll be here to root for you.
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Starship,

You are so right, you do have to start somewhere! I think you have selected a great starting point! 
Some people do best cold turkey, others by cutting down. You may have to discover what works best for you.
If you can reduce your smoking before a quit you will be further along. You will build confidence by practising what it will be like to live as a nonsmoker.

Some people can successfully reduce, others can't.

It is important to note that you have to reduce smoking by at least 50% to get any real benefit in health.  Keep a record of the exact number of cigarettes you smoke each day.

Start this record before you start tapering. The easiest way to reduce is by not smoking all the cigarettes that you think you need to smoke, that you smoke out of habit. Before each cigarette ask yourself, "Do I really need to smoke this one?"  

Delay having your first cigarette after you wake up.  If you usually smoke within 15 minutes of getting out of bed, try waiting at least 30 minutes.  Gradually lengthen the time you delay.

And remember to check in and keep us posted on your progress!

Samantha, Health Educator 

12 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've wanted to quit for years, always thought about it but didn't really do anything about it, it's about fear.  But, there are so many reasons to want to quit and besides I really don't like it's smell, appearance, shame ( almost hiding away to smoke ).  But fighting it is tough,  I'm thinking small steps at first, I've already started cutting out certain times when I would smoke, early morning before leaving for work and again, when arriving at work so those two are gone and now I don't really miss them.  But, there still seems to be a mountain to climb.  It's scary but others seem to have been brave enough to take the step and now I want to try.  I'm thinking I will select a quit date shortly, How do I get to see the quit meter, wondering if I'm not clicking in the right place or something?

Suggestions for the first few steps for day one of cutting back or preparation?

Reading this thread: