Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,603 Members

Please welcome our newest members: seeh620, MRITCHEL AMBRIE, DMARY CHRISTINE, DILOIZA MARHYZ, AFRANCESCA

4 1/2 days to go

17 years ago 0 1151 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kevin, I believe you are 8 hours ahead of me (I'm in California) and so these will be the last few hours of your smoking life. Woo hoo! Freedom awaits you and you've garnered quite a bit of support which will make all the difference. I'm glad to hear you are excited, a positive attitude will open many doors. Also if you can do your best to remove any expectations ("this is hard", "this is a struggle", "I've failed before") and take each day as it comes, it may be a bit easier. Oh, by the way - I quit cold turkey and I only hoped to beat my previous quit of 9 days. It definitely can be done. ;) Here's to the new you! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/5/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 973 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19,470 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4378.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 75 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
  • Quit Meter

$37,043.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 640 Hours: 17

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 232 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey JDK, Welcome to the land of non-smokers. It's a brand new world out here, you'll be noticing some changes. For example, this is the first spring in 30 years that I have actually smelled. Wow! Sometimes, especially during that first week or two, it will be all that you can do to not smoke just for the next five minutes. That's ok. Just don't smoke for the next five minutes. If you have internet access at work, why don't you pop in here for a quick read during your breaks? Beats the alternative. Or, make a promise to yourself. Tell yourself that you'll only smoke after you've posted on the board that you're having a killer crave and you've heard back from one of us. While you wait, go back to all of the reasons you quit smoking, and remember them, fully, one by one. Finally, and I think this is really important, REWARD YOURSELF for each hurdle you cross. Quitting is really, really hard for most people, and you deserve your full admiration and congratulations each time you turn a crave into a no. And you'll find out that each time you say no, it becomes easier and easier to say. Oh, yeah. Make sure you know where the exclamation mark is on your keyboard. You'll be using it a lot around here. Keep at it, JDK, we're all here rooting for you! Legend [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/25/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 237 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $48.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JDK - I've cut/pasted your posting below with one edit: For the first time, my head is in the right place. I'm actually excited to be doing this now. Though I wouldn't be truthful if I said I wasn't a little bit anxious too (but that is going on my oh-so-woeful experiences the last times). That will go as time passes, especially [color=Red]when[/color]I beat my current record of 5days. You get to point where you say, I've lasted this long, whats the point in starting again? Quitting CAN be done. YOU can quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,418 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $260 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,625.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5541 Hours: 21

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
There is a way guys, don't drink the usual cocktail that you used to drink when you smoked. If you drink something new, you won't get the cravings...BUT, it is very good advice to just have one or two until you have gotten a few months under your belt, we all know that too much = weakness = oopses! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 788 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $327.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
kevin, have you thought how u going to cope when you are at the pub. i find very difficult almost impossible to drink and not smoke, maybe that will change with time. have yourself thought of some startegies or you can easy drink alcoholic beverages and avoid smoking. good luck [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 68 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lainey, Thanks for your post. I'm glad I am encouraged to write as much as possible. It's quite carthartic! I will be typing my experiences into notepad and then copying them here. At least for the first couple of days. I'll attempt to remove all expletives beforehand :) For the first time, my head is in the right place. I'm actually excited to be doing this now. Though I wouldn't be truthful if I said I wasn't a little bit anxious too (but that is going on my oh-so-woeful experiences the last times). That will go as time passes, especially if I beat my current record of 5days. You get to point where you say, I've lasted this long, whats the point in starting again? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 969 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Kevin, Welcome! I understand about the pub thing. I avoided the weekly happy hour for the first month, because the local pub air was so thick with blue smoke you couldn't see your drink! The first happy hour I attended was at an unfamiliar pub (so I would intentionally feel comfortable as a non-smoker where nobody knew me as a smoker) and I did just fine. It also had better air cleaners. Yes, there were smokers there. Yes, I watched every puff they took for about the first 45 minutes I was there. Yes, I wished I was seated closer to them so I could get the smell... then a smoker sat right next to me. PHHEEEWWW, it was so bad I wanted to move my seat. Smoking is becoming more and more inconvenient, which is just one more little reason to quit! Stick around! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,514 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $242.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So Welcome Kevin! You're getiing ready and this is a great place to be! I did the same, read read read everything I could. Printed down the most inspiring ones for me. I cut up some straws the size of cigarettes ( and carry them with me) I chew sugarless gum. Peanuts (dry roasted) I here licorice sticks help too. Arm yourself with everything you can, but I think the most important thing I have learned here is get your head in the right place. Be as mentally prepared as you can be. You have to set this goal as something that you "Have" to do. Once you open this door, you cannot go back to smoking. Tell yourself Smoking is not going to be an iotion , so I will have to find other methods of distraction when a craving comes. Post here alot! there is always someone with a hepful tip, a kind word, or a laugh to relax you and help you through! I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 786 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $327.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 932 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JDK, Sunflower seeds are exactly that, seeds from sunflowers. You can buy a bag of them at Wal-Mart, most grocery stores, and most convenient stores. I normally buy mine at Wal-Mart and get a big bag of David's Sunflower Seeds. They're salted on the outside, you crack the shell with your teeth, and take out the little seed inside. Then spit the shell out. ha ha ha There are actually directions on how to eat them on the David's bag!! ha ha ha Just don't eat the shell. They're really good and they give you something else to do besides smoking. I also use roasted and salted peanuts in the shell. (Pistachios are great too.) Cracking the shell occupies your hands and they're really good and good for you. You CAN do this and we're here for you when you need to talk. Stay Strong, Tutti [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 46 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,091 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165.14 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:) That thread is extremely funny. Seems I have a lot to look forward to. Maybe i should warn my family in advance. What is it with sunflower seeds? I've seen quite a few mention them on this side. Maybe I missed that in non-smoking 101. Right 16:05 (UKT) and I have exactly 10 cigarettes left, which will last exactly until tonight. This time i'm not going to make the mistake of having 60 cigs lying around at 10pm. Until tomorrow (Quit Day 1) Kind Regards Kevin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: