Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Smile....and don't shoot the messenger

Timbo637

2024-09-27 3:17 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.765 posts in 47.065 threads.

161,136 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Mimi34, istruggle4life, schcgtest1, FeelingD0wn, monopolygou4gm

A realization.

18 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My mother is an alcoholic/drug addict. I guess I never thought about the way she lived her life rubbing off on mine. I never tried drugs because I had seen what they did to people and wasn't curious in the slightest. My mom even urged me to try certain things to "help me expand my mind". Yes, she seriously said that. I guess up until now I have always denied being like her. Or thought I was in the clear because I wasn't hooked on drugs or alcohol. I guess we are more alike than I thought. I suppose the predisposition for addiction really can be passed down genetically. Maybe I need therapy. LOL! ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 83 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This weekend was very tough for me. I almost smoked more times than I can count. It made me realize how very much of an addict I am, not just with smoking but with almost everything in life. I guess I never really thought about it fully before now. Most of my addictions aren't necessarily bad or horrible it just scares me, and makes me realize that I literally have an addictive personality. I will list some examples below. 1. I am extremely addicted to foods or certain foods. Example of this: I eat applesauce everyday. I have to have it. There are other foods that I get attached to as well, and I usually go in spurts. Like last week it was macaroni & cheese. I exclusively ate macaroni & cheese for lunch & dinner for a week straight. 2. Smoking of course. 3. Television. I have certain shows that I seriously HAVE to watch. There will be absolutely no way that I will ever miss them. I would rather miss my own birthday party than miss one of the tv shows I love. Thankfully there are only 2 that have that strong of a hold on me..otherwise I would never leave the house. LOL! :p 4. Excercise - This one goes in spurts. Usually I either excercise way too much or not enough. A good example is when I was getting up 2 hours early everyday to go runnning and going to the gym after work for 2 more hours. Followed by walking with my dog for another hour and then doing crunches in front of the tv for another half hour. 5. Soda. I [i]used[/i] to be addicted to soda pop. I quit drinking it because I developed kidney stones. I'm not joking when I say that I used to seriously drink around 5 cans of soda a day. Which seems disgusting to me now. This is one of the first habits/addictions I've ever had to break. Let me say that it was hard. I won't even touch pop now for the simple fact that I might go back to where I was before. I guess my point here is that I am starting to realize that it's not just the habit of smoking that is a problem for me. It's my entire way of thinking, the way that my brain operates, and the way that I relate to the world. It really makes me scared because these are relatively small problems in the grand scheme of things, BUT I could easily end up with much bigger problems if I dont watch out/help myself. Does anyone els
18 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you Sophie you have learnt something about yourself so early in your quit, this is quite a journey and it will make you grow. Do it one day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $136 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, at the first of the year, I had two things I needed to do. Lose wieght and quit smoking. So I dedicated the first half of the year to losing weight because I figured out that if I changed to a healthier lifestyle, smoking wouldn't fit it anymore and I was right! It has really helped me in my quit! The second half is dedicated to quiting smoking. Not that I am letting myself go with the weight eather but by now, it is kind of automatic. Next, I have to tackle caffine addiction. Then, I think spoiling my children. Then who knows. The point is, yes, I do have an addictive personality which I come by honestly because both my parents were alcoholic and smokers. I do really believe in the genetic component to addiction. I got away without the alcohol addiction because I knew better from the start and never took a drink. I wasn't that smart about the smoking. Maybe you have relatives who also have this. Don't feel down on yourself, it isn't your fault or anything. Now it's up to you what you want to do about it. Love, Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,185 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
  • Quit Meter

$75,185.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6545 Hours: 15

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 17

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 547 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WOW sophie, 4 days- FANTASTIC!!!! I think you are ahead of the game, first off, by knowing exactly where you stand right now and are ABLE to recognize what you are attached too. My suggestion? Baby steps. One thing at a time. You kicked the soda pop (good for you! stuff is terrible for ya!!) and now you are on smoking. Seems to me you are taking things one step at a time, one addiction/attachment at a time. Be patient with yourself and do not be worried, you are doing great. Do not do more than you feel you are actually able to handle. Quitting smoking is tough but it will get easier as time goes by. Just be with this for now. You are not expected to get rid of everything overnight, let alone change your life overnight! It is a process and it will take time. We are all here for you, so post here often (as much as you need to). You are already successful in your observations of what you are /have been doing, you will overcome them one at a time if you keep your focus and stay on track. :) Blessings, Love and Light! Eve PS. I was addicted to a few TV shows too. What did I do? They went off the air for good this past year, so I GOT RID OF MY TV!!! LOL. Oh the freedom!!!! ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 100 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 805 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $600 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 299 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
" it isn't an option to smoke. " Umm... yes it is.
  • Quit Meter

$16,906.69

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 929 Hours: 6

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 299 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, one suggestion would be to find out what addictions you think are hurting you and try out some addiction hynosis therapy. Another one would be try fighting one at a time. Right now I have to focus on fighting smoking and drinking both. I cannot no way in HELL just do one. I MUST quit both!!! My problem I think that gets me to go back to it is when I start watching my diet. Well fsck that lol!!! I'll pig out if I want to!! I quit smoking on July 16, 2006 at 7:47pm. It has been 16 hours, 10 minutes, and 40 seconds since I quit. Had I not quit smoking, I would have: * Smoked 13 cigarettes (That's like smoking a 4 foot long cigarette) * Spent $2.89 on cigarettes * Inhaled 134 mg of tar * Inhaled 10 mg of nicotine (That's like doing 202 hits of nicotine) * Inhaled 148 mg of carbon monoxide * Taken an additional 1 hour, 59 minutes, and 41 seconds off my life
  • Quit Meter

$16,906.69

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 929 Hours: 6

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sophie, You did it with the pop and you can do it with the smoking! it isn't an option to smoke. You will be healthier and you are almost through hell week! Use whatever it takes to keep you here and post often. The online support group can make a difference. We are always here for you and you did make the right choice! Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: