Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.761 posts in 47.061 threads.

160,836 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Sinea, MANA MARIE, mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS

This is hurting my kids!!

18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ty for your advice. Just writing it down and asking for help made it easier. weird. i find that if i don't let the craving get to me, the kids don't get to me. (mental games this is) i felt so bad this morning i gave them both a hug, said i was sorry and went for ice cream. they are only 5 and 2 so they have no idea what is going on. Rusty, thank you for that saying. It is definately something to live by. [quote] I will never take this out on anyone I love. I will walk away and I will only come back when I have gathered myself. [/quote] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 39 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well today is my third day and i feel better already. I was having trouble waking up in the morning and i'd have a sore throat for about the last three months. got up so easily this morning and my thoat is no longer sore. I would like advice please. reason being,I am yelling at my kids when i have a craving. Got lots of peppermints. doing great not wanting a cigarette, but those one to two day cravings are now hurting my kids. This is my problem not theirs and i'm going to damage them if this continues. What do i do? It's like they push that button at the right time. I know it is in my head. How do I deal.
18 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Keadie and weldone by quiting. We are all here to help you. This what you do when the cravings hits you again. 1. Say a small pray to god and ask for his help. 2. Take a deep breath and count to 1 to 10. 3. Take your anger and your craving out by hitting a pilow. God bless you and stay strong
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Keadie, I hear ya!!! Well, living with 2 youngsters is hard enough, let alone while we quit! On my 3rd day, I adopted that quote. [quote] I will never take this out on anyone I love. I will walk away and I will only come back when I have gathered myself. [/quote] I naturally am a loud person, it must be the Italian in me....., but I know the difference between loud and yelling. So do my kids. I have not yelled or taken this out on them yet. I do tell them that I need a "break" or a time-out, and I go away from them for a little bit to gather myself. I played those mind tricks too. I'm pretty good at it!! I knew that since I've already done my share of yelling, and stressing out on the kids, that I wouldn't let the best thing that I am doing for myself get in the way. I cherish my time with them now. My baby is turning 4 next week, and it really hit me hard. I spent 7.5 years in my garage smoking. Instead of being inside with my kids. Now they are growing up, and I cannot get that time back. I promise to cherish everyday with them and watch them, and play with them, and enjoy them. My hair lady told me that when she got a crave, she would get a bottle of water and down it. It usually took the same amount of time. Someone else said that they went and brushed their teeth when they had a craving. Adopt some healthy habits to do to replace your old ones. I personally love the toothbrush one. It's an immediate feeling. Hang in there! Do the mind tricks. You are doing great, keep it up!! P.s.- I too took Xanax. It really did help. Talk to your doctor if you really think you are out of control. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,791 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $192.93 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
18 years ago 0 941 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Keadie. It's tough huh? But you knew that right? It's not your kids fault that you feel like you do. I know it's hard, but you have no right to take it out on them. I know that's real easy to say, but there it is. You said it yourself. I'll be very very honest. I have the same issue. In other quits I failed because I get very aggressive when I am denied nicotine. I also got verbally abusive. I could not believe the crap that came out of my mouth that I directed at the people I love the most, my family. Befoe I quit this time I spoke to my doctor about those issues and he perscribed Xanax for me. I have had no serious outbursts at all this time, and I'm now off the Xanax. I just needed time to learn to cope and the mild sedative gave me that time. It's just a suggestion but talk to your doctor. Smoking will do more damage to your kids in the long run than these outbursts. Do whatever it takes to get this under control, but don't give up the quit. Your doing the right thing even though you lose it every now and then. You're no different than a lot of us. Losing it does not make you less of a person either. The fact that you posted about it means you're smart enough to know you have an issue, and now, you'll find a way to cope. Hang in there. Nobody said this would be easy. Keep us posted. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,018 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $484.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 9 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$100,047.20

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9162 Hours: 18

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
A wise person on this site (I think it was Penitent) responded to one of my posts about the same topic "I will never take this out on anyone I love. I will walk away and I will only come back when I have gathered myself." I have never forgotten that. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 506 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,182 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1771 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 69 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
  • Quit Meter

$55,452.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 654 Hours: 20

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
keadie, Step back and count to ten :) It may be easier than trying to leave the situation. Before you yell send them outside and calm yourself. Try relaxation techniques before bed and when you wake up. This was you can relieve any extra stress. Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: