Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

I can't stop cheating.

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ArwensMom, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Keep up the great work, Melanie ____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I DID IT! I did not have a puff this morning. Usually that's when I do it. But THIS MORNING, no puff. I am so jazzed. Thanks everyone.
Gosh! Thanks for all the help. You know, I really do think I can get by without that puff. One puff, how silly to cling to it like it's really gonna make a difference.
My boyfriend got the word that he had HAD to quit smoking or lose his legs so I decided to quit too. I have been plagued with a terrible cough and pain in my upper chest since I got pneumonia a year ago. I figured not smoking couldn't hurt. We quit five days ago, but I have had a puff (not a cigarette) every day. I just can't seem to let go totally. He's doing it cold. I'm using the commit lozenges. Aside from the cravings, my biggest problems are being tired, unable to concentrate. I don't want to do anything. I've had a tremendous headache for the past couple of days. Last time I quit smoking, I waited for three years and the malaise never went away. Do these bad feelings ever go away?
18 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Arwens Mom, There is soooo much to be said for not smoking, but I guess I don't have to tell you that since your boyfriend is faced with the horrible effects caused by smoking. And the fact the you have been suffering with a terrible cough and chest pain also shows the tremendous toll smoking causes. (BTW: have you had this checked out, just curious). Please, please, stay strong! What you are going thru right now are withdrawel symptoms which should ease up very soon. Make sure that you get plenty of rest, and drink lots of water or tea to flush out your system. From what I understand you stayed quit for three years previously, right? So you can do it! This site offers great support. I quit 17 days ago, and it has helped me out in so many ways. Whenever I feel like the nicodemon wants to get the better off me, I come here, and read all the encouraging posts as well as all the struggles people go thru, and how they fight them. Everyone here is such a great inspiration, and many of the "old-timers" have such great words of wisdom and encouragement for those are fairly new. Print out some of the messsages that inspire you, keep them handy so you can read them when you think you can't stand it anymore. Please believe me when I tell you that it will get better. I just can't believe how much my overall being has improved since I quit. Yes, I still feel tired now and then. But to wake up in the morning without this dreadful nicotine hangover and to actually feel fresh can't be beat. My breathing has improved tremendously, and I can't wait to start running again without being afraid to collapse after the first 100 ft. or so. My hair smells like coconut instead of smoke, my clothes smell like they promise in the laundry commercials. But most importantly I know that I am not polluting my organs anymore, because that is exactly what we are doing when we are smoking. Come back, and come back often. I hope to hear more from you, and how your quit is going. All the best, Gaby [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 352 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $131.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go, arwensmom!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 327 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $84 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there.......It's amazing the effect that this horrible lot have isn't it! Take all the hands that have been extended and do without that little puff. Brent
18 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Come on now Mom! Take a deep breath and let it out. I have been struggling through the first week blues and what is working for me is comic relief. I keep laugh with my husband because he says..."how ya doin, Honey" I say... "I am great! Only popped off 3 peoples heads today"!!! I think out look is the key for me. I look at each day in half. I get through the morning then the afternoon and by that time I am no way going to blow my quit for just a few hours before I go to bed. Please read everything you can on optimistic outlooks and brainwashing. We have brainwashed ourselves into thinking the addiction is more powerful than we are! That is not true and you know it...read, read, and then read some more...and then Quit Cheating!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 172 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
18 years ago 0 682 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I read somewhere that the nicotine spreads all over your brain when you take a puff. Then when you deny the addiction for a short period of time the sensors are rewarded even more than if you just smoked. So what you are remembering is the relief from feeding the addiction not a really good tasting puff. The only puff that has ever REALLY tasted good is a cream puff with yogurt & chocolate! I am sure you can do this... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 173 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $28.72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
18 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Arwensmom, After 21 days most of the weird side effects of quitting usually go away. If you continue to have headaches or feel depressed often, you should see your doctor. You must stop smoking completely to be quit. If you keep cheating, you�ll just go back to smoking. Write down every reason you have for quitting, and read your reasons BEFORE you have a puff. It�ll help. You can do this. Not cravin', never cavin'. Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 274 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,983 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1781 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$472,336.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5382 Hours: 18

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: