Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Smoke vs. nicotine withdrawl

18 years ago 0 160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the technical information! I always wanted to be a doctor, but I became an alcoholic and smoker instead before I even got out of high school! No credibility could be gained. HA! Maybe now I'll be able to go back to school - I could get my N.D. by the time I'm 50. I smoked 1 pck/day for 27 years and my nicotine dependence rating is 7. This quit is somewhere between #5 and 8. As for NRT, I've tried gum, patches and cold turkey. I really like the lozenges (using now) because it requires action several times a day, provides routine and gives my mouth something to do for a while. Also, I've noticed that besides being able to breathe better and not having that single, small cough w/phlemball in the morning, I don't feel any differently than when I smoked. I'm not crabby, anxious or anything. Cold turkey was certainly the roughest. I had a three week quit that way. I had insomnia, constipation, anxiety, preoccupation and the monkey NEVER got off my back or even lightened up. This time I've done several things differently and the difference is amazing. Now the monkey only jumps on for a few seconds and few times a day. The thought of smoking is there and then it's gone. Finally, I can focus on living life without smokes and deal with the substance issue at a later time. Both at once was just too overwhelming for me. I still have the question: "On the health-benefits timeline, which benefits are from quitting smoke and which are from quitting nicotine?" Questions like: I've been quit for three+ days. My bronchial tubes are relaxed (post 72 hrs). Is that because of a lack of smoke or a lack of nicotine? I have a decreased risk of heart attack (post 24hrs) now. Is that from lack of smoke or lack of nicotine? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 52 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $12 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just love reading the progress/healing timelines!!! I shouted out in the house to my family the other night, "Hey everyone, I have 24 smoke-free hours! I've just reduced my chances of a heart attack! Isn't that great?!!!" I'm sure my children have been dreaming of that day for a very long time. Today it was, "Hey! Guess what, my bronchial tubes are going to relax this evening!" One thing that I'd like to do, though, is be able to separate the information of healing from not smoking and the healing from no nicotine. I'm using NRT and would like to know which milestones I'll have to miss until I kick the nic. Anyone know? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 46 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $12 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome.........and congrats!! I am also using "the patch", and if you have time to read thru some of the posts, there are interesting debates on going "cold turkey" versus using an NRT. There's no doubt about it, we are extending our dependance on nicotene by using the patch. But not everyone has the willpower to face quitting smoking without some help, and for me personally, I KNOW I won't light up while wearing one - the dangers of stroke and heart attack are too high. It's my own insurance policy against lighting up while I wrestle with the emotional and psychological triggers during the first few months. I hope some others who used the patch will post here, and share their experiences of life "after NRT"! If you are really concerned, call your doctor. After all, you smoked for HOW LONG??? And if you follow the directions, you will be extending your nicotene use (in a much different delivery system, don't forget) by approx 3 months........ What's worse? Using the patch properly and QUITTING SMOKING forever, or not quitting smoking if you are not able to go cold turkey? I choose using the patch and beating this addiction..... Keep posting, reading and JUST SAY NO when you get a craving. It's funny......even with the patch you crave. Obviously not for nicotene, just for the remembered comfort of smoking. So this isn't foolproof either. But if you do use it, DO NOT SMOKE. It is extremely dangerous to use both..... GOOD LUCK! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 441 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $195.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm obviously not a Doc so what follows is just a personal view, The detrimental health effects of smoking are well documented and I am not going to repeat then here but the effects of nicotine on its own is an interesting thought. Got this from Wikipedia. [quote] The carcinogenic properties of nicotine in standalone form, i.e. separate from tobacco smoke, have not been evaluated by the IARC, and it has not been assigned to an official carcinogen group. The currently available data indicates that nicotine on its own does not promote the development of cancer in healthy tissue, and has no mutagenic properties. Its teratogenic properties have not yet been adequately researched, and while the likelihood of birth defects caused by nicotine is believed to be very small or nonexistent, nicotine replacement product manufacturers recommend consultation with a physician before using a nicotine patch or nicotine gum while pregnant or nursing. However, nicotine and the increased acetylcholinic activity it causes have been shown to impede apoptosis, which is one of the means used by the body to destroy unwanted cells (programmed cell death). Since apoptosis helps remove mutated or damaged cells that may evolve into cancerous tissue, its inhibition by nicotine creates more favourable conditions for cancer to develop once the initial mutations have occurred. Thus, in combination with the numerous potent carcinogens in tobacco smoke, nicotine plays a role in carcinogenesis and may be considered to be a carcinogen on those grounds. It is also important to note that its addictive properties are often the primary motivating factor for tobacco smoking, contributing to the proliferation of cancer. [/quote] So there you have it! Bottom line is that it is one of the most poisonous substances around and is actually used as a pesticide. The big issue is that you will be tempted to smoke if you are dependent on it.......I know a number of people who have caved in and destryed their quit because they forgot to put a patch on that morning. Hope this helps. Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 281 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �200 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 210 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I owe my quit to the patch, I dont think I would have done it without them. They gave me that extra push to go on and allowed me to deal with the mental part of quitting. After I finished the program I had no withdrawl from nicotine at least I did not notice it anyway :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 231 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,628 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1039.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 23 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
guitar, Nicotine usually leaves your body within the first week. Everyone's symptoms will be different. Some people have actually had minimul symptoms. Let us know what you are feeling, and we can guide you through. You can do this :) Josie ______________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: