Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Site seems a little faster

Timbo637

2024-09-05 4:43 PM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

What are negative core beliefs?

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-17 7:35 PM

Depression Community

logo

Creating a stress plan

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-07-08 4:16 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.764 posts in 47.064 threads.

161,044 Members

Please welcome our newest members: erwinb, jujub1, mariebel, SWK679Learning, Number777

Feeling very tired........

17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean, I've also read that nicotine affects blood sugar levels and they tend to drop quite a lot when there is no more nicotine in your system. I also read that drinking fruit juices during this time might be helpful. My husband and I bought some fresh orange juice. I'm not sure how much it helped, but I don't think it will hurt! I've had extreme fatigue during the first week or so, but I've started feeling better in the last couple of days. Hang in there, it will get better! Love your positive attitude, Boxerfan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 211 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $39.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jean, This is not uncommon among quitters. Just as your fellow members have explained, it has to do with the many changes occurring in your body such as a drop in blood sugar, healing going on in your body, disturbed sleeping patterns, an increase in oxygen in your blood and a drop in your metabolisms rate. Please be kind to yourself in the days to come and if you're tired, take a nap. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you all for your responses. I had a pretty good idea that the fatigue was probably due to the body healing itself. I am taking it easy, plus I am going to lay down when it's possible and just rest up. Once again, thanks for your input :) ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... lol.... J xo [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/thumbsup-1.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 115 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $41 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 813 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jean This is pretty standard as far as I know...It probably has to do with the fact that smoking has the nasty habit of causing the body to dump glucose into the blood stream, elevating sugar levels and I suppose giving us the sense of having more energy...Thats just what I think...so go and research the topic a bit and see if you don't agree...In any case the body is adjusting to a more normal state as opposed to the hyped up state we create when we smoke...Perhaps you should just take it easy on yourself and go with it for the moment...The body will eventually adjust to your new state of being... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 104 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,509 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $728 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes, Jean, I'd say that most of us go through it to one degree or another. I certainly did, and to some extent, I'm still adjusting. And for anyone who who's using the patch, as I was, that throws a whole other ingredient into the mix. (Other drugs like Zyban will likely affect sleep as well) In my case, I started getting tired again not long after I woke up. By evening I would just collapse into bed, usually early... but then not be able to sleep very well. I'd get up 10 or more times a night, and often end up getting up for the day after only 4 or 5 hours of fitful sleep. Your body and mind are adjusting to going nicotine free (or, probably, to a sharp fall in nicotine if you're on the patch). After years of smoking and having your metabolism altered by the nicotine... it's natural that it will take some time for your sleeping patterns to adjust. But the good news is that it starts to get better within a week or two, and then gradually becomes more and more manageable. Today I'm getting a decent night's sleep, though I still wake up too often. For one thing... I'm not coughing all night or dealing with chest pain, so what sleep I am getting is more restful than when I was smoking. I know from a prior quit attempt that I can expect my sleeping patterns to be well adjusted by the end of the second month. And that's different for different people, but if things keep going the way they're trending for me... that should be the case. Hang in there. It takes time... but you have time. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 838 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $305.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 1450 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jean~ This too shall pass. Make it okay to pamper yourself for a time. It is normal to be fatigued (or have an energy surge for that matter.) Your body is going through a healing process. It's adjusting from the removal of poisons and nicotine it has been subjected to over the years. When smoke is inhaled, nicotine is carried deep into the lungs, where it is absorbed quickly into the bloodstream and carried throughout the body. Nicotine affects many parts of the body, including your heart and blood vessels, your hormonal system, your metabolism, and your brain. Nicotine can be found in breast milk and in cervix mucous secretions of smokers. So realize that your body has a lot of healing to do and take it easy on yourself. Take more frequent naps and work some exercise into your lifestyle. Stay quit and before you know it you will feel terrific! [color=blue][font=Tahoma]All the best~[/color] [img]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6922/n3us.gif[/img][size=3][color=blue]2[/color][/size][img]http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2344/k6ob.gif[/img][/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/20/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 596 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,123 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2980 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 58 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 1000 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jean, I have been tired too. I think it is more a mental tired than a physical one. I know it isn't from overworking because my safe room is my bedroom and I have spent lots of time in there watching tv. I can't wait to leave work and get home and just sit. I would like to start doing more but I did everything with a cigarette in my hand or mouth so for me right now quite time is best. This is why I think we are mentally tired from working the quit. I know right now we are better off tired than smoking. I don't think I would have or could have said that a week ago. Pamper yourself you deserve it. I see you have a couple of April Ashkickers so far. I just love that name. Good luck and keep posting and Happy Easter ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 370 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $117 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm into day 5 now.. and I'm feeling really very very tired! I haven't done much of anything today to feel this way. Is this normal? I feel like I've been totally zapped of all energy...*yawn* Anyone else go through this? And if so, how long does it last? J xo [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/thumbsup-1.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/4/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 113 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $41 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10

Reading this thread: