Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

My Quit is making me sick!

17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How about going for a massage! It would probably help you relax and loosen up those tense muscles. I get it too when I am really stressed. Or you could try hot towels wrapped around your neck (The massage therapist used to do that for me) Keep trying! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 468 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $189.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry it's so tough for you right now, Tryagain. But at least you're going through the pain for some positive purpose. When you were smoking, the only purpose was to destroy yourself. (Even if that wasn't your intention, it would be the result) Remember, there are alternatives to dealing with tension. Explore some of those and select one or more that are a good fit for you. This is going to take time, but you'll be the beneficiary. Things aren't going just the way you hoped, but they will get better. If it takes 6 months or a year of dealing with some of this stuff, that's still a better option than smoking. Chances are great that you'll show significant improvement as long as you keep doing what you're doing. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 269 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $92.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Try, You know you are only two days away from the cruise! Sorry you are not feeling well but please stick with it. Tomorrow will be better, I promise. You know, I never posted about craves, and today I had them probably the worst. That whole theory about patience and waiting for the crave, or in your case pain, to pass will happen. Hang tight, Audrey :) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey tryagain I'm going to say to you one think, don't you dare light up. Take to aspirins and go directly to bed. Don't let you or me down, No cheating.
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sure hope you feel better soon..... I sometimes notice my shoulders scrunched upward and my neck muscles tense...I have to make a conscious effort to relax my upper body. Try some yoga...seems to help for me. I spend my lunch hour listening to relaxing music (do a search for unwind radio) and either my 'office' yoga or a brief 'down-time/nap'. I wish I had the $ for a weekly massage! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 189 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,492 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1512 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 20 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain, Sorry to hear about your neck! Perhaps starting a daily relaxation technique would help? Keep persevering! Danielle ______________________ The SSC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tryagain - I am so sorry for your pain. I'm glad that you did get to a doctor and are trying to find ways to feel better. But, I have to ask...are you sure it is the quit that's causing the stress? Nicotine withdrawal doesn't cause stress, it causes lots of other unpleasant stuff like fatigue, constipation, spaciness, etc. but it doesn't cause stress. What I'm assuming is that there are stressors in your life that you've been unable to manage, thus you experience stress, then you look for something to reduce the stress - you think the answer is a smoke, and you don't have this option and have been unable to utilize other options/techniques of stress management. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this in a way that is comprehensible to anyone other than me?! What I mean is: Stress doesn't make us sick, it's our reactions to stress & how we experience it that can make us sick. One last analogy - One coping skill that I've been using in my quit is chewing lots of gum. I've chewed so much gum that my jaw is sore. Now, I can say "The quit is making me sick (making my jaw sore)". But no - it's the gum that's making it sore. Hope this makes a tiny bit of sense! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 723 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $130 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,425.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5540 Hours: 20

Minutes: 26 Seconds: 18

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just came back from the doctor something I was trying desperately to avoid. The stress of not smoking has caused some serious muscle and nerve tightness in my neck which is causing hand numbness to the point where I have trouble holding things (like sharp scissors and clippers). It keeps me awake at night, and the pain wakes me up frequently. I have elected not to be medicated. I have a TENS unit to manage the pain and am going to get some accupuncture for deep relaxation. I am not questioning the quit. Because to give up the quit means pain all of its own. I just have to deal with this until it is gone. I am sorely (pun definitly intended) disappointed in now having to go through this after such a hard struggle to get through the initial withdrawals. I did not expect such massive expenses. I may have to get a new chair and possibly special glasses for when I'm on the computer. First, I'm going to try commercial over the counter readers for the computer. The chair, well, I'll cross that bridge when, well there is no bridge, I have to find a fording place to cross that river. Today was also step down day as I move from 4 mg gum to 2 mg gum so I am seeing progress. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,458 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $480 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 519 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh yeah, I know all about jaw ache from over chewing gum. I went through a period where the struggle to not smoke took all my energy I was always exhausted. Now, it seems to just be a constant tension. It's not a struggle anymore. It's like holding your arms over your head and not putting them down at all. I know it will pass. I know it. I just gotta ride it out Like everything else. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/27/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,463 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $480 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I really feel for you, but I also can't help but doubt that quitting smoking is the cause for all this? but, if the quit is the cause of this stress, then rest assured it WILL pass. When you get past the withdrawal of quitting, you actually have much LESS stress in your life, cause the addiction is no long ragging you day and night for a fix. I am a much calmer person than I was as a smoker. I still have stress, but it's easier to relax now than it was when I smoked. hang right in here....you will never be sorry Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1898 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 75,937 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10818.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 250 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$158,959.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5343 Hours: 4

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: