Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

Oh!

13 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit cold turkey, so I don't have any advice to offer.  I'm just glad you didn't smoke!  Do the lozenges come in different strengths?  Can you step down on them?  I'll leave it to the "experts" here to provide better guidance.  Maybe check out the website for the NRT or your pharmacist/doctor to see if they have any advice.  Good luck!!!
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 645
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 25,800
Amount Saved: $6,450.00
Life Gained:
Days: 99 Hrs: 7 Mins: 29 Seconds: 59

13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm glad you didn't smoke. It's okay that you used NRT. Like you said without it you maybe would not have quit. However, some people do get addicted to the NRT. I had a friend who wore three patches and just simply refused to give them up. I don't know if he has yet. It had been a year and a half last I heard from him. I think it is really important to take NRT under a doctor's care or to follow the dosing directions on the box. Frankly, some people are using NRT too long and are getting dependent on it. There really needs to be a quit plan. The box actually provides one.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 391
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,948
Amount Saved: $4,652.90
Life Gained:
Days: 44 Hrs: 0 Mins: 14 Seconds: 21

13 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Gimm, your post made me nervous for a little while! Phew I am glad it turned out OK in the end. I was on patches and of course part of their programme is to wean down. However, I did my quit through the doctor and he said there is no harm in using the NRT for as long as one feels they need to. It is far far less harmful than smoking. I would have carried on using the patches until I felt secure enough in my quit not to.
Make sure you have some spare to hand- just in case!

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 747
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 18,675
Amount Saved: $11,205.00
Life Gained:
Days: 91 Hrs: 4 Mins: 36 Seconds: 49

13 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gimm,

NRT's are helpful because you can slowly wean yourself off the nicotine withdrawal and focus more on the behavioural/psychological addiction.  It can be difficult at times to step off the NRT but with coping mechanisms and determination this certainly can be done.

Members, how did you cope when stepping off NRTs?

Ashley, Health Educator
13 years ago 0 230 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well yesterday i ran out of nicotine lozenges.  It was later in day, so things went pretty well.  Used sugar free mints and that worked pretty well.  Mornings have always been  the hardest for me.  When i smoked, a cig was first thing i reached for upon waking up, since i quit, it's been the lozenges.  So, needless to say i woke up wanting one.  I tried the mints, but it kept building up and up.  I even thought if i had a cig in the house i would SMOKE it!!!....Wow thats first time in a very very long time i thought seriously about smoking a cig!.  But anyway, i went outside and searched my car! lol..i found three lozenges. I thought Whew!!  I dont like getting so desperate that you have to start hunting for one (reminds me of when i smoked)  I really really Really wish i had never used these things to begin with. But if i hadnt, i probably would not stopped smoking.  It's like im having to fight this battle twice now!...Anyone else have problems getting off the replacement?
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 202
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,080
Amount Saved: $2,020.00
Life Gained:
Days: 22 Hrs: 23 Mins: 50 Seconds: 34

Reading this thread: