Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,552 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Coffee?

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Iwin, When quitting smoking, it is wise to stay away from substances that could trigger a crave for a cigarette. You may want to try drinking tea instead.?. Keep us posted on how you are doing. Take Care, Melanie _____________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Coffee is a tough one for me too. I love the flavor of coffee and grind my own dark french roast every day. Yes- it causes cravings (but not so bad that I can't take it), but I refuse to give up everything. I like coffee more than cigarettes. It's ok with me. And now, coffee tastes SO MUCH BETTER!!!! If it causes you too much distress, you must avoid it. I have to avoid friends that smoke, but still talk on the phone to them. They get it. Too bad if they don't. Maybe they'll quit! Bob [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,028 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44
18 years ago 0 28 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Coffee is a tough one for me also. The only thing tougher I think is alcohol. Anyway, I bought some really good columbian decaf, and cut my reg cofee with it slowly over the course of a month until I was drinking only decaf. Much easier to deal with. Also whatever amt I was drinking I cut about half as well, but not by frequency. Example: I drank 3 large mugs (12 oz at least daily) 2 in morning one in afternoon. Switched to 3 small cups (6 -8-0z) instead, and upped the water bigtime. Give it a whurl. Might work for you.
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Iwin, this is day 56 for me and I find myself drinking more coffee but I don't associate it with smoking, I just want more. I am trying to cut back on the coffee and start drinking green tea and water. But I still crave that coffee. I don't plan to give up my coffee, but just try to drink less. Good luck to you Iwin!! :) Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 965 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $196 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 8 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
  • Quit Meter

$229,938.75

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 21

Minutes: 55 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just started drinking coffee a year or two ago so I was never one of those people who had a cigarette with their coffee. I have just realized that when I have coffee in the morning that is when my cravings for smoking start or get worse. Has anyone who did'nt always have to smoke with their coffee notice this. I wish I could blame it on a coffee cigarette habit but that is not the case with me. I would hate to have to stop drinking coffee now too. Hopefully it is something that also goes away with time. IWin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,049 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $208 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Rusty, I did'nt think of trying the flavored coffee. Maybe that would make a difference. I like tea and I would switch to that but for some reason tea does not agree with my stomach. Don't know why that is but had to stop drinking tea several years ago. I have cut down on how much coffee I drink now and if it is the difference between cofee and my quit right now I will lay off the coffee for a while. IWin [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,050 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $208 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 92 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I actually like coffee still. I puff on the stir stick like it's a cigarette. It's like my own little non-smelling personal smoke break in my cube without a cigarette. I don't even have to go outside. I think being affraid of the things you used to do is unhealthy. Of course if you used to play russian roulette while smoking I wouldn't recomend picking that up again. But coffee, being outside, eating large meals, working on my cars (anything with a sense of achievement), (sex). I tried avoidding these things for a while during the beginning of my quit. I was misserable. I finally started drinking coffee, and did a little work on my car, it felt awesome. It's good to jump over those hurdles and come out on top. It's a bigger sense of achievement.
18 years ago 0 1110 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Years ago I tried to quit and all I succeeded in doing was giving up coffee. I then started drinking tea. Now that I have quit I don't drink tea anymore but I have an occasional coffee. I figure if I have quit smoking that is whats important so I won't worry about the tea or coffee, its not all that good for us anyway lol. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 318 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,367 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2385 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 41 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
IWin, I know you don't want to stop drinking coffee, but is it worth losing your quit over? What you might do is try a flavored coffee, experiment with different types of tea, or change your coffee drinking routine to try to outwit the craves. Early in my quit, I lost my taste for coffee. I gradually got it back, but meanwhile learned to appreciate tea. Good luck! Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 446 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,502 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1561 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
  • Quit Meter

$54,870.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 22

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In time your cup of coffee no longer brings thoughts of smoking....it was a tough one for me too....but you get past it.....I now enjoy my coffee with NO thoughts of smokes Katy
  • Quit Meter

$158,970.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5343 Hours: 12

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: