Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,602 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MRITCHEL AMBRIE, DMARY CHRISTINE, DILOIZA MARHYZ, AFRANCESCA, SERI

Telling people I quit, to me is the hardest part of quitting...

10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sarah, 

Glad to hear you are staying positive and receiving positive support for your quit!  Keep up the momentum!
Vincenza, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi again Sarah , sorry I got your name wrong in my earlier post.
It sounds like you have a great start to your quit with lots of support.
N.O.P.E.
Sherry
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sarah,
Your doing Great..and getting stronger everyday.
I sure do remember all the first, diners, birthdays, and celebrations once I quit. I also remember telling friends, family and complete strangers that I quit and every time I told someone it was like a celebration and I grew stronger in my quit...

Red...

10 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Sarah you're doing great :)  Hang onto that positive mindset! You want it, go get it!

I walk around saying 'not smoking is easy, I was always meant to be a non smoker' it does make it easier :)

Carol

10 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you for the feedback Sherry and Carol. When I first quit 11 days ago, I told my husband, my good smoking buddy (who I still see but on different occasions), and some of my coworkers. I jsut recently told my mom, best friend and some close friends that I quit and they were so happy and proud of me. They said they will support me in any way possible, and I know they will.

Right now, I am doing great with my quit. I went out to dinner for the first time since my quit and although the thought of smoking popped into my head after dinner, it quickly left. I hope I am continue on this journey with this strong mind frame as this time it really does feel easy and I guess thats because I really want it this time.

Any who, thanks again ladies for the support. This board is really a saving grace for me (Ditto Carol).

Sarah
10 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sharon , Congrats on your choice to quit.
I think it should be hard to tell people to a certain degree. I believe telling them is like a pledge
therefore I do not want to go back on my word.Telling them well also help them and you in working through your quit
with things like mood swings attention span, being tired etc.
The key is that it is Your quit and you need to do what works best for you to achieve your goal and become a strong non smoker.
Wishing you Strength in your quit.
N.O.P.E.
Sherry
10 years ago 0 152 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Sharon,

Day 10 and rocking it, go girl!!!  Your attitude is that of a Winner and that is why you can make this time different :)  So don't be fearful of proclaiming your Non-Smoking staus :)

Yes I had, past tense, difficulty initially telling people but for a totally different reason.  I haven't tried to quit in 30+ years so no one has seen or remembers that I failed then!  First I was Afraid I would Fail so didn't want anyone to know.  But the closer I got to my quit date the stronger and more committed I became so saw it as a Public Pledge of my commitment to be a non-smoker.

However everyone reacted just as I expected.....Jubilation and 'You are the strongest person I've ever known in my life, you will do it'. and 'you always succeed when you've made up your mind to do do something' and 'You Got This'.  I tried to explain that I might need some support and needed to be allowed to be imperfect and that I might not be strong but would need a helping hand.  But every time I'm having difficulty and turn to someone for support all I get is 'You're doing great, you got it, you never fail', etc.  Sometimes I need a little sympathy and understanding not the expectation to maintain perfection!!!

This board has given me the opportunity to whine when needed and not be perfect.  That doesn't mean I've slipped, I haven't.  But I am allowed to show weakness while going through difficult periods of the quit!  I truly appreciate having a place to do that :)  I truly see myself as a non-smoker so I will be one!

Carol
Day 18

10 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today I told my mom that I am on Day 10 of being a non-smoker. She quit almost 1 year ago after smoking for 45+ years. She quit because of her carotid artery which she had surgery for on December 21, 2013 to remove the blockage. We weren't sure if she would come out the same person as going in as the surgery can cause strokes as well as other implications. But, she came out just fine and is one of my inspirations on my quitting journey.

I am finding the hardest part of my quitting journey is telling people that "I quit". I think the reasons are that I don't want to see thier faces when I tell them and all I see is "ya, sure you did" written all over their face (as this isn't my first attempt at quitting). I was also worried that I would disappoint them again, that I would go back to smoking.

This journey is different, this journey is my final one as I will never smoke again. After telling my mom today that I quit, I won't and can't go back to smoking as it made me realize that I don't want to put my child in the same position my mom put me in. Smoking is 99% the reason for her carotid artery and the reason that I almost lost my mother at just 60 years old. I can't put my child through what I just went through, not because of something that I can and will prevent.

So today I commit to not smoke, as I want to live a long and healthy life that is smoke free!!!

Has anyone else felt that this part was hard for them, telling people that they quit???

N.O.P.E.

Reading this thread: