Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,551 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

Rewards - stories, ideas

14 years ago 0 303 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm a sunglasses lover and in the beginning got some really nice pairs around here..Bought a few new suits..I guess I decided to explore my vanity side.  lol.  I won a trip to Vegas for top sales in 08 and we were down this April.  When I was there I got a great pair of Oakley sunglasses.  I wore them when I played the poker tables at the MGM.  Items won't neccesarily bring you happiness but when you see tangible items that represent money that you spent on smoking it feels pretty good and it doesn't have to last forever.

For me it was the beginning where I really needed the rewards.  In the beginning I spent more than I was saving by not smoking but guess what?  I don't even think about smoking anymore unless it's to reflect on how great it feels not to and to answer questions for friends and family that are trying to quit also.  So rewards aren't as important now but that $7.50 a day still isn't coming out of my pocket so it was definately a great investment at the time.  My greatest reward though was my second son Jack.  He was born in August the month of my one year quit anneversary.

Maybe some gear for your bike or a cool biker outfit?  Whatever it is enjoy it and enjoy the fact that it's not going to support your local Cigarette Company.  All the best.

Mr Q

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/4/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 445
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,680
Amount Saved: $3,337.50
Life Gained:
Days: 49 Hrs: 14 Mins: 18 Seconds: 29

• Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whoa that's quite the list!  Thank you for sharing! 

What's your favorite?

Members, I'm sure someone can add more !

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Took your advice and looked it up... there's a whole bunch of them on the website... duh!
So, instead of bumping some old messages, I've put together a list with the free or almost free rewards from several... Sorry if I did not write down who suggested what... hope I won't get sued for no copywritting rights
Ø       Sudoku books, crossword puzzles, word scrambles

Ø       Jigsaw puzzles

Ø       Craft supplies

Ø       Take some nature or family pictures

Ø       Cheap seats at a baseball game

Ø       Call a friend

Ø       Have a friend call you  

Ø       Take a class at a local community college

Ø       Drive a different way home from work

Ø       Tell someone you love them

Ø       a packet of vegetable or flower seeds..or a little starter plant?

Ø       a new watering can

Ø       postcards from a local museum

Ø       a visit to a park or museum (many have free Sundays occasionally)

Ø       Every week I would buy a cd at a used cd shop, average cost was about 6 dollars. 

Ø       I also got charm bracelets for me and my two daughters.  I figured they needs a reward for putting up with me.  We added new charms each week that I did not smoke. Each charm was a few dollars but a great way to keep track of our progress.

Ø       MUSIC!!  CDs are usually around $10 and you can download an mp3 for only $0.99.

Ø       great monthly or 2 month reward could be an mp3 player.

Ø       Fabric softener.  I know - it sounds nuts.  Somewhere in my first two weeks though I smelled my own fabric softener on my clothes at the END of a day.  It was wonderful.  There are so many kinds to try.

Ø       Perfume.  This doesn't have to be expensive but could be something to save up for.

Ø       I'm a big fan of the Dollar Store or other discount stores and they are a great place to get scented (or unscented) candles, potpourri and other small things for...a dollar!

Ø       Take the kids, dogs, neighbors or yourself to the park

Ø       Walk around a garden

Ø       Spend 10 minutes stretching

Ø       Get the car washed

Ø       Get the carpets cleaned

Ø       Volunteer somewhere

Ø       Our 60 day reward was joining Netflix!  You can get it for as little as $10 a month. That is a fraction of what we spent a month on smokes.

Ø       Our treats have been, small bag of our favorite candy. Dinner out to our favorite restaurant. I took my oldest dog for cheeseburgers     (she is 13)

Ø       On our 70th day we went all out, we are both gaining weight so we bought and elliptical with the money we hadn’t spent on smokes.

Ø       Good smelling soap and bodywash since I don't reek anymore

Ø       Nail polish or nail files since my nails are nice (when I stop biting them)

Ø       Sugar free Snapple popsicles

Ø       A magazine about health like Self or Shape and I don't have to feel guilty when I am smoking reading it

Ø       A trashy magazine like Us just for fun

Ø       Water Aerobics swim class two mornings a week. (not expensive)

Ø       A scrapbooking workshop.(also not expensive, if you don't buy a lot of goodies while at the workshop)

Ø       Painted the living room. (paint)

Ø       STARBUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!(once a week at a store I have a latte,yum!)

Ø       Just walking around in a very pleasant store was a good reward for me. After work, I would go spend an hour at Bath and Body Shoppe, or Pier One, or a New Age kind of store that we have here.

Ø       those little boxes of raisins are widely available here in any supermarket - I think the main brand is Sunmaid, but now some of the stores like Publix have their own brands. Even Paul Newman has his own organic brand!

Ø       I've discovered Oregon Chai Rooibos concentrate here in the "big box" stores -- like Publix or Albertsons. It comes in a carton on the coffee/tea aisle, but near the soy milk canned stuff. You mix it half and half with milk and either ice it or warm it up in the microwave. Rooibos has no caffeine, so it's a great evening reward!

Ø       Window shopping (but not buying)

Ø       Curling up with a good book

Ø       Bubble baths with scented candles

Ø       Sitting on my deck at the cottage listening to the loons

Ø       Watching a lightening storm over the lake

Ø       Lunch out with friends

Ø       Chai tea (I'm going to have to try that Rooibos w Vanilla)

Ø       Spending time in my flower garden

Ø       Walking

Ø       Glass of wine with a good steak

Ø       Taking "time out" for just "me".

Ø       Steamy baths with perfumed bubbles.

Ø       Fresh ground, hazelnut coffee topped with (no fat) whipped cream.

Ø       Curling up in comfy clothes and watching a good movie or two.

Ø       I’m teaching myself quilting, learning to make jewelry with my daughter, exercising, reading books, learning Spanish (slow southern drawl makes it interesting), learning Photoshop and Dreamweaver, researching things I’m interested in, spending time on the SSC, drawing, etc.  During “my hour” the house doesn’t get painted, the mess doesn’t get sorted, and the clothes don’t get washed.  And, you know what?  The house hasn’t fallen down and no one has complained that “such and such” isn’t getting done.  Sometimes, I just take a nap! 

Ø       A plant or shrub for the house or garden (my 100 day rose bush cost 1.99 UK pounds, that's about 4 US Dollars)

Ø       I use speciality tea almost daily as mini-rewards/breaks - my two favourites are Chai, a spiced Indian tea (thanks to Rusty here!) and Rooibos with Vanilla which is naturally caffeine free.

Ø       Cook yourself a special meal, my one week reward was a really nice steak.

Ø       Take some time to yourself to do something that you enjoy, give yourself permission and be good to yourselves, you do deserve it!

Ø       Books/Movies/Music

Ø       Chill time/Walks

Ø       Roasted almonds

Ø       Flavored coffee

Ø       Manicure/Pedicure/Facials

Ø       Night out with friends

Ø       Dinners

Ø       Day/weekend trips

Ø       Car parts

Ø       Chrome/Leather – for us bikers that’s a biggie (right, Kaiser )

Ø       New watch

Ø       Saving for trips

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 17
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 595
Amount Saved: $77.35
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 15 Mins: 19 Seconds: 13

14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I'm in NYC I reward myself with $2 roasted almonds from a Nuts 4 Nuts vendor.  A small bag is like 300 calories, so not too bad.  I've donated money to my university for a scholarship.  I'm heading across the pond in November, so money I've not spent the past two months will be used for Delft Pottery and Neuheus Chocolates.  Oh, and a new watch for my 1 year smoke free reward.  I figure I would be spending $10 a day if I smoked, and that adds up quick!  I pick up a pound of flavored coffee every month for $10 and brew it at home.  And monthly manscaping (mani and pedi) at a co-ed spa.  Find what is fun and relaxing for you and just do it! 
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 427
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 17,080
Amount Saved: $4,270.00
Life Gained:
Days: 63 Hrs: 18 Mins: 45 Seconds: 54

14 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't reward myself frequently enough with little things.  One thing I do enjoy is looking out my window at work for 5 minutes and simply enjoy the view and take deep breaths.  Still not sure if this is a reward or simply a substitute for a smokebreak.

I also enjoy adding parts to my old Impala, and weekend or daytrips.  I just love drives in the country.

Treat yourself like a goddess.  You deserve it!

Dave

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 275
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,250
Amount Saved: $2,165.63
Life Gained:
Days: 44 Hrs: 22 Mins: 35 Seconds: 57

• Quit Meter

$50,543.46

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1126 Hours: 1

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 16

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Cristina!

For me, a nice cold beer was my reward for making it through the day smoke free!  I told myself that I couldn't have one if I caved in!  Well, it worked and I'm still having a beer every evening after work!  Well, I would probably do that now anyways, but it was a good trick for myself in the beginning!

Really though... I'm saving up for a nice dive trip with my better half!!!  I know it's going to cost a bundle, but it is so going to be worth it!

Jim

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 595
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 14,875
Amount Saved: $2,454.38
Life Gained:
Days: 102 Hrs: 13 Mins: 19 Seconds: 2

• Quit Meter

$44,317.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 18

Minutes: 1 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 363 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
small rewards, a steak dinner, a night out to the poker tables, big rewards, an English Bulldog, my Monte Carlo, and my home..LOL  no seriously, I would have bought the house anyway.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/2/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 202
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,080
Amount Saved: $2,424.00
Life Gained:
Days: 29 Hrs: 22 Mins: 30 Seconds: 14

• Quit Meter

$37,646.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 990 Hours: 5

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lots of things Christinas, I will buy things I would have one time thought about- yet I never thought about shelling out that amount of pounds for cigarettes- so when I want something now (within reason) I have it! I paid out of my saved 'smokes' money towards my husbands 50th birthday trip to Las Vegas- rewards are well deserved, enjoy yours when you've decided what to have- and dont forget to share with us what you choose!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 529
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 13,225
Amount Saved: $7,935.00
Life Gained:
Days: 62 Hrs: 10 Mins: 50 Seconds: 5

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Facials, manicures, pedicures, a great movie, a long walk, some Itunes music,a weekend trip, a one week trip,a new purse, a watch,a pijama party with my girlfriends. A glass of wine and chat with friends. A massage.
I hope you get some ideas from here.
Hasve a great evening
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 271
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,065
Amount Saved: $406.50
Life Gained:
Days: 30 Hrs: 20 Mins: 36 Seconds: 24

14 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i bought a couple of pistols and a bunch of golf stuff.

it was cheaper than smoking !
mike/astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 588
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 17,640
Amount Saved: $5,292.00
Life Gained:
Days: 99 Hrs: 16 Mins: 41 Seconds: 23

Reading this thread: