Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,602 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MRITCHEL AMBRIE, DMARY CHRISTINE, DILOIZA MARHYZ, AFRANCESCA, SERI

Ridin the roller coaster....

16 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
((((Kristilu)))) Scream, run, break something, laugh, cry, shake... Then keep on not smoking. Reality check: It sucks to quit. It's physically painful. It's mentally exhausting. It's like falling into a tumble dryer on the hottest day of the year. But it can be done and you WILL do it if you want to do it. Tough it out, girl, eat some brownies, to hell with carrot sticks. Nurture yourself by not denying yourself the odd treat. But also don't deny yourself some exercise. A long nap. A massage. A jacuzzi. A deep whiff of a bakery (this is PARADISE). The smell of cold air. A manicure - heck, you and your daughter can give each other a manicure. Hard to smoke with wet nails. (Trust me, I used to try and ruined it more times than I care to count.) Reward, reward, reward. And have I mentioned reward? Hang tough, get ready for a long ride, and know that once you come out the other side you'll be so glad you strapped yourself in today. x T [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 409 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,407 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2,249.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 34 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
KL, those are totally normal quitter feelings. You're emotional. You are getting rid of how many years of drugs out of your system! You are recovering! I say let the tears come. A good cry always feels good! (Do it now so you'll be ready to smile when Hubby gives you your Valentine!) And if he doesn't...well that hammer may come in handy! Or you may prefer the skillet! Deep breaths, breathe in the relaxation and breathe out the stress! Do that ten times! And say this with each one! I am a non smoker! After all, you are! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 346 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,650 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,650.30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
kristilu I feel for you. I rarely say I know how another human feels. However in this instance I will make an exception. I remember the tug of war all to well. And here is the good news I said I remember the tug of war as is it is not in the past. And it will be a memory for you too if you keep up the great work. Remember we ar both the jailer and the prisoner, we must find the courage to ask ourselves for the key... Good luck you are doing fine, and more importantly you are not alone... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 416 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,368.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 77 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$66,685.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1376 Hours: 0

Minutes: 53 Seconds: 32

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1107 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow!! You are one tough woman. I congratulate you and let me tell you, you have achieved so much in the last few days. If you can deal with these small battles so successfully, guess who wins the war? Way to go Kristi!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]10/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 109 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $686.70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 19 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Boy - does that ever sound familiar! WOW! I had forgotten about that anger, resentment, missing, longing, sadness coaster. It won't last forever hon, and you're doing fabulous! *hugs* [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 577 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 43,275 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10,818.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kristilu, So glad to hear that you resisted! Here is an emergency coping plan that may be helpful next time you're tempted or if you feel the urge: AVOID the situation. Identify the situations when you normally smoke or feel a craving for a cigarette. For most smokers, high-risk situations include work breaks, finishing meals, having coffee or being in a bar. Plan how you will avoid these situations for a few weeks. Plan for alternate activities. LEAVE the situation. If you find yourself in one of these high risk situations, leave if you can. And, leave before you get a craving. DISTRACT yourself from the craving. If you find yourself in a situation you can't leave and you get a craving, distract yourself from the craving by: � Thinking about something else, like your benefits of quitting smoking (or how much money you�re saving every week). � Do something else to distract yourself like drinking water or deep breathing to relax. � Think about an upcoming event in your life, such as a vacation. DELAY taking the cigarette. If you can't keep your mind off it, then make a deal with yourself that you will wait 5 minutes before you give into the craving. The craving will usually pass in a couple of minutes anyway. If you delay, the craving will go away. Use SELF TALK A craving may be accompanied by negative thoughts about your ability to resist it. Use positive self talk statements to combat your negative thoughts. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 392 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I will be so glad when this ride ends. Day 4 and I am like a baby without her binky. Feel like I could cry on the drop of a hat and mad at the world. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/11/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 75 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $20.63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
16 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kristilu I spent many days on that roller coaster you speak of. It is full of ups and downs but I promise the ride does end. Unfortunately, you can't get off in the middle because the fall would kill you. I had many mental argumetns with myself trying to justify the reasons for quitting or reasoning for going back to smoking. I too enjoyed smoking. There will come a time when smoking will be the furthest thing from your mind. Gosh this sounds weird coming from me! You see, I spent the better part of a year and a half whinning on these boards that I wanted to but didn't want to smoke. Hang on tight, the roller coaster does end. When you get off you think WOW What a ride that was! I don't ever want to do that again! Sounds like you are doing great. Don't let the junkie inside get the best of you.' Lady [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 958 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 19,160 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,353.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 88 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's because you're addicted Kristilu. That's the junkie talking KL! It's that mental battle the first couple of weeks, the junkie wants you to give in (so he can cheer), but your brain knows that you are doing the right thing. You may have enjoyed smoking, but now you know better, you know the cigarettes were killing you, that's why you gave them up! So tell that junkie to kiss it! You are on your way to a great freedom, just keep on saying NOPE! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 346 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,650 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,650.30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
16 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
GOOD JOB for hanging in there and riding it out. I don't have any smokers around me, unless my daughter and son in law visit. They are great about going outside. They don't smoke in their own house or car.. so they go outside. I had a stroke at 54.. i have no clue why.. I was under a ton of stress at that time, which could have been a factor and I am positive smoking was NOT helpful.... My left side was paralyzed.. for a short time. I had to walk with a walker, I now walk un-aided, but I still have a limp.. No high heels or sexy shoes ... I had to learn.. to use and control my left arm and hand. My left side is still weaker than it use to be BUT i am one of the lucky ones.. I can use it. I also have lost some peripheral vision, I have cognitive and memory issues, I had to medically retire from a job I loved. I cannot run.. seems like a small thing... I have 4 grandchildren.. we have all adjusted and do fun craft things, but I can no longer play tag, hide and seek, volley ball. print this out and read it when you need inspiration PLEASE. Quitting is not easy and I am on the same road.. Going into the 4th day.... Come on Kristilu YOU can do this .. do it FOR YOU [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/11/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 30 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4.73 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16

Reading this thread: