Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,542 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf

H.O.W.

15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sparky Excellent  Good Orderly Direction. Had forgotten about that one. Was in alcohol and drug program from 1991 to 1996. Had 5 years clean and sober but was totally miserable. Relapsed after 5 years. Never fell down the stairs until I stopped drinking. lol. Got an idea from Rock that if we feel like we need to smoke we should tape oven mitts on our hands. This is much harder than any addiction I've faced yet. I can remember watching a show on TV about this rare disease where the bones grow out of control and there's basically nothing they can do about it but prolong it. The person is entombed in their own bones and it eventualy suffocates them much like smoking. We have a choice where they don't. How about Let Go and Let God. I'm not really religious but it's when you say I can't deal with this anymore , you take it. I guess it's admitting failure. To say " I couldn't even smoke properly without coughing my lungs out. If I was such a great smoker I'd be able to breath , but I couldn't. Maybe a huge pair of oven mitts would be prudent to wear to some parties over the holidays. Sense of humour a must. breather 29 Addict 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 29
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,450
Amount Saved: $696.00
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 8 Mins: 48 Seconds: 57

15 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breather   I am in a 12 step program and you already know that, right?  Been sober almost 32 years, but the smoking is a whole different monster for me, so I tell my self.  Recovery is possible as long as I don't smoke and I won't today.  I will recommit tomorrow and move forward.  I want my smoke free life back, I lost, no I threw away a precious gift now I am reclaiming it.

How about G.O.D.  Good Orderly Direction

Keep the Quit
Sparky

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 90
Amount Saved: $15.75
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 9 Mins: 30 Seconds: 49

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the bump Sparky!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sparky  Good to see you're keeping on keeping on. I like the slogans. H.A.L.T. , H.O.W. jusT foR todaY , the last letters spelling TRY.  I like F.E.A.R. meaning I can Frig Everything And Run or I can Face Everything And Recover. Of course , denial's a river in Africa. I think the slogans are designed to effect change. To effect change sufficient to bring about recovery. H.O.W. is also W.H.O. and I won't say you. I can only speak for myself but it's about being beat up enough or sick enough to be willing to change. It's about coming to the realization that no I don't know everything , at that point I become teachable. I can't , We can. Meaning I can take what I need from a collective wisdom and leave the rest. I like humility , you come before me , u before mi. They say insanity is repeating the same things over and over and expecting a different result. The result is always the same. A change in attitude sufficient to bring about recovery , that's what it is. Think there's a slogan about Attitude as well. There's one about think. Think Think Think and oh yea Stink'n Think'n  , remember that one ? Probably a hundred more but I'd better stop. At some point this disease can be arrested and recovery is then possible. If I always do what I always did I'll always get what I always got. breather 29 T.B.A The Big Addict 0
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/11/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 29
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,450
Amount Saved: $696.00
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 8 Mins: 25 Seconds: 24

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Sparky!  How true these words are!  One day I want to go back and read EVERY post ever written as there is so much wisdom out there.  Thanks for bumping this up!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 112
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,480
Amount Saved: $896.00
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 15 Mins: 37 Seconds: 22

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Honesty, Open mind, Willingness...HOW very true!
I will have to add this to my collection of  'stop smoking stuff''!  Thanks.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 49
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,960
Amount Saved: $392.00
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 10 Mins: 9 Seconds: 11

• Quit Meter

$52,410.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 741 Hours: 7

Minutes: 47 Seconds: 59

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wrote this about a year ago when I had some days under my belt.  I have been reading some of my and others posts.  I was at my 12 program meeting last night and we were talk about H.O.W. and I remembered writing about here.  Thought I would bring it forward for others and for myself.  Hope it can offer some insight for some you.

Keep the Quit
Sparky

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 9
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 90
Amount Saved: $15.75
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 8 Mins: 51 Seconds: 39

16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rockstar, Thanks for the bump! Members, let's hear H.O.W! Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 201 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sparky this is great! [quote] H. = Honesty. Honesty was and still is a journey for me. When I first came here I �honestly� thought I was ready to quit. Then came the boredom of the quit, the thrill of look at what I am doing. It just became a struggle. It was easier to smoke than fight the craves. What I lacked was the courage and the education of what quitting was all about. I quit several times and each time I honestly wanted to quit, but I never wanted to really quit for me. I hated the word addict. I mean I really HATED it!!! I had to get honest with what I was and am and always will be � I am addicted to cigarettes and for me to stay quit I am never to have one puff ever. In the past I would smoke one or half of one and go on for a while and then pretty soon I would smoke again and then again and then I was back to smoking. I honestly know today than I can never have that one puff again. O. = Open Mind I had to have an open mind to what people were telling me. I was not unique when it came to my quit. There was nothing I was going though that others hadn�t gone though before me. I had to have an open mind in order to �hear� those helpful words. When one has an open mind many wonderful suggestions can filter their way into the mind and soul. W. = Willingness. Willingness is the key to a quit. I had to be willing to hear. I had to be willing to follow suggestions. I had to be willing to go though withdrawal. I had to be willing to listen to my doctor. I had to be willing to trust and move forward each day with the commitment to stay smoke free. [/quote] Thanks Phillip [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 723 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 18,075 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6,145.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 122 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 149 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $8.16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37

Reading this thread: