Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,789 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Dont you people get it!!

17 years ago 0 104 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have just posted in the intro section, ive said how i want to quit for my 3 young children and how scared i am of what i will feel like tomorow (tomorow is my quit day) Then after reading a few other post ive come across this one, ive read it twice and its reduced me to tear's twice. I can only say thank you, i plan on printing it off and sticking it to my kitchen cupboard door where i will see it and reread it all the time (if thats okay) If ever i needed that one last kick up the bum...well i feel i got it here (feel's more like a punch in the face though) Thank you.
  • Quit Meter

$568,387.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4677 Hours: 2

Minutes: 48 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep. Just 5 minutes ago someone left my office after telling me his brother gave the news that he has lung cancer and has 3 years. Big smoker. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 133 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jaset...this was a really powerful wake up call for me as I prepare for my quit date. In fact, I read it late last evening and couldn't stop thinking about it. I was up early this am, read it again and it has inspired me yet again. Everything you say is true, but a few weeks ago I would not have understood your message, your anger or passion about how easy it is to quit. Like a lot of people, the only thing that's kept me from quitting in the past is plain old ignorance (of the learning kind people not the attitude kind). I always thought you just had to have willpower alone to stop smoking and never considered any other way to quit. I needed to learn not just the facts you present in this post but also to understand addiction and finding the knowledge about quitting that makes all your fears evaporate. Yes, your fears can just evaporate like your last puff of smoke!!! Will it/can it be easy to quit?, yes and no, it depends entirely on your state of mind and or education. I now proceed with confidence. I'm still not looking forward to my time of withdrawl, but with my new base of knowledge I will overcome this temporary necessity and am looking forward to my freedom from addiction. Thanks jaset for the post and Jose for allowing this tough love! Pat [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$122,169.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 973 Hours: 4

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump Still powerful words for me to read jaset, thank you again for your honesty. :8|: Pat quit or try dying [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 570 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $196 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$122,169.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 973 Hours: 4

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 48 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Too funny rainie!! I did the same thing and was hoping to find some post that said "I can't make it" or "I'm scared" but couldn't find a darn thing!! Jaset, you must be a man of steel!! I must throw out my congratulations to you and also let you know that I am very envious of your attitude. I can't say that I wish I had your strenght, because I must have my own if I've been quit for 19 days now!! Again, my post was just a reminder that it isn't as simple as "that's that, I quit" and never want to smoke again, no cravings, no withdrawl, nothing. Congrats to all the quitters!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $161.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
Apology not needed!!! I did not post because I was offended by anything that anyone wrote, nor did I want to stir up any trouble, but thought I'd inform anyone that it isn't as simple as "don't you people get it" I'm sure we all either "got it" or didn't care to "get it" as smokers, but it obviously isn't as cut and dry as that, or I, and many others I'm sure, wouldn't have been smokers for as many years as we did!! As I said, I respect EVERYONES opinion, we are all free to say what we feel (within reason i hope!!) and it (the tough love approach) does work for some, just maybe not all!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $161.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
Ok, so I read this post earlier and have debated ever since about replying. But this is an open forum, and to each their own right? And I'm not saying this because I diagree with anything you said, but I honestly felt like I was being lectured by a non-smoker about how easy it was to just "quit" and how to just "not smoke, simple". I guess maybe it's because I'm just a new quitter?? I dunno, but I thought the addiction to nicotine (as with any other drug) kinda plays games on your mind and honestly, you feel like YOU CAN'T quit. And once you're quit it does feel like your mind, body and soul are being exercised so the devil can leave!! I have been fairly confident in my quit, but in all honesty, I have felt like I "can't" do it, and have talked myself down from having a cigarette by "trying" one day at a time. I'm 19 days smoke free today, still a fresh new quitter with a lot to learn about the whole addiction and living smoke-free process. You made very valid points in your post but when your were a smoker or just newly quit was it that easy for you to think, feel and say these same thoughts?? I guess I just wanted to say that as much as I agree with everything you wrote, and it should be that simple, it wasn't and isn't for me, and might not be for other "newer" quitters coming here for support. But like D2Q said about the tough love approach, it's probably needed to fight this thing, but I guess I like the fluffy stuff, it's working for me!! I respect your straightforwardness!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 19 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 196 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $161.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
Jaset - you have my utmost respect. I agree with Liz in liking your second post more than your first, but now reading your second post I can understand why you wrote the first in the manner that you did. You are a very intelligent man, and obviously one who has put many hours of thought into "smoking" in general. I have spent hours on this website since I first discovered it a few days into my quit, I was going nutty and was trying to find somewhere that would help me out and let me know that what I was going through was "normal", and thank goodness I found this site!! I've read many, many posts, but have paid special attention to many of you "more experienced" quitters, which would be anyone with more quit days on me, or those who have made several attempts to quit. I have been interested in what works for the rest of you, things to avoid, and how to "not fail" on my quit. I suppose I am a new quitter who is still feeling sorta lonely, lost, sad, angry, confused, weak, guilty, ashamed and disappointed in myself. I am female so maybe it's hormonal??? (Help me out ladies!!!) I don't know. I am so angry that I was ever so dumb enough to even try smoking, 'cause it was so cool!! I was 17 when I took that first drag and was pretty much hooked since then, well for the next 15 years, which brings me to now, at 32 and finally woke up and gave a sh** that I was killing myself, and hurting my girls. My hubby has quit with me, he is 16 days quit. I guess it took for one of us to realise how dumb we both were, and that atleast one of us has to not die to parent our kids. You took on an approach to quitting that I haven't read about on the boards yet, again, everything has been pretty fluffy up until I read your post!! And I'll also admit, I was scared!!! I'm glad that you were smart enough to know what was gonna work for you, and if it was the "go get 'em" attitude and "nothing was gonna stand in your way" than so be it. More power to ya!! I applaud you and am secretly jealous that you were able to take such a hold of your addiction and nip it with such confidence and strength!! Thank you for your second post, it has clarified things for me and maybe other "newbies". I'll look forward to reading your posts in the future, but now I'll know where they re
17 years ago 0 27 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Two weeks in and weekend just gone was hell! Cleaning house and missed my reward of smoking every half an hour or so. But, I made it through to Monday and thanks to your straight talking I realise that I did the right thing and didn't smoke that evil stick! Your words are inspring, thank you... Tilly :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 14 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 156 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post Jaset. My husband was recently diagnosed with bladder cancer which was directly caused by smoking. The doctor said he had never seen a case of bladder cancer from a non-smoker. That was enough to make me and my husband throw away the cigs and whenever I feel the urge to have a cigarette I try and remember how I felt when my husband was diagnosed and that puts me right back on track because I have never been so scared in my life. I'm still going through the light headedness and dizziness and not knowing what the heck I'm doing half the time, but I know in time that it's going to make it better. You certainly gave me the little shove I needed today Jaset as I was feeling very weak. Thanks for post.

Reading this thread: