Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,550 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

"You're in the WRONG line of work if you don't smoke!"

17 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just started a new job a few weeks ago and EVERYBODY smokes! And it seems that everybody wants to know if I smoke (I've been asked at least a dozen times now whether I smoke or not). When I say that I've quit, people look at me like I just told them I have Leprosy. So far, the comments I've gotten have been "You quitter!" (to which I proudly smiled and said "YEP!"), "You're in the WRONG line of work if you don't smoke!" and my favorite, "What would you want to do THAT for?" My boss smokes right there in the office (Missouri DOES have a smokefree workplace law, but I don't feel like losing my job so I've neglected to mention this to her - nor do I think she cares about the law and I'm sure it wouldn't do much good). I feel like an outcast a lot of the time. I understand that they're just jealous and that they are all addicts who have not yet ventured beyond the smoke to feel the freedom that comes with quitting, so I just let it roll off my back and don't worry about it, but it still kinda erks me. I wish the world would just quit smoking!!! Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 439 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,994 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1813.07 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just don't join the crowd, BFS! Same thing in Tennessee, I am afraid. The bible belt and tobacco industry go hand-in-hand. Go figure. I am in a stressful job where a lot of my coworkers smoke. Early in my quit it was hard---now I think they STINK! The mid-south will undoubtedly follow the rest of the world at a slower pace...but I fully expect us to be smoke free in the near future. It's becoming terribly unpopular.....and I am glad! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 124 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,242 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $992 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
17 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pam, You're right Pam they are jealous, and wish they were in your shoes. Who knows, you just might be there for a reason. The reason is, once you began to know these people they will start to question you about your quit. You can be very inspiring to them, even if it is just one it would be worth it. Stay strong Pam and keep us updated. Sunshine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 368 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,269 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1288 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
  • Quit Meter

$229,933.69

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 21

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 663 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well that just STINKS. Sorry you've gotta deal with that - don't think I could or would. I can't even stand the smell of my clothes if I've been at a bar for a bit. yuck! keep fightin' the good fight - fish :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/21/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 385 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 11,575 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1925 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 453 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
BFS- "Be good and you will be lonely; Be lonely and you will be free." -Jimmy Buffett Stay on the high road, girl. You might be inspiration someone has been waiting for. mc [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/31/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 498 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1992 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pam, We are right behind you! This may be difficult, but please stand your ground and continue forward. You are being tested and I know you'll pass! Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: