Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,540 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

A really bad day.....

15 years ago 0 185 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is strange to see how many people find confort in food. The difference between just eat some confort food and binge eating disorder is that binge eaters don't care about what they eat but mostly about quantity. And it is like your body and brasin switch in crisis mode. Then depends of the emotional load. the crises could last from 2 hours to several days. At least for me.
the other strange thing is that I can actually postpone the crises. If I feel that I crises is coming I try to get out or do something else but in the end I still go to eat.
For example I returned Rome 3 days ago and only now I managed to get some balance. I 'm doiung actually better here than with my parents at home but the change affected me.

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys,

I found this thread interesting because of the food/binge eating portion. I find myself to be an emotional eater. I find anxiety and depression affect my eating. also I find the have similar and yet distinct effects on my eating habits... I find my relationship with food to have been difficult for a long time. I was really interested to hear what everyone had to say about this!
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Panda,   Way to laugh at your days mishaps. They happen to the best of us and it is best to learn how to deal with them then to get angry and anxious over them.    wdc, Have you ever tried keeping lists of things that need to get done in your day to unclutter your mind? They say Canadians apologize A LOT (we are always saying sorry!), do you have any Canadian links?

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi gang...... the topic going astray was my fault.

guess I am like that in most things and really bad days usuallys are filled with distractions (especially in this Open-environment)  I am like an ADD, always looking for the next noise or a puppy sniffing the air. 
So sheba's explanations of her bad day and the mention of a binge got me to wonder if some of my weird eating patterns were shared by someone ... or if I was totally abnormal and solitary.    

I read somewhere that only bipolar can understand each others because MDD depression is not the same as Bipo - depression.  I do not know.  I was content to think ... ah well sorry I am off on another tangent
15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Aaaaargh! Some part of all my days go like that... my mind is so cluttered I forget things, my anxiety is so high I am distracted. I am constantly apologizing to people and trying to make jokes about my flakiness. Then I go home and CRY! I am a baby about all of it. Aaanyway, I understand the frustration. I have no doubt your tomorrow will be smoother. cheers!
ps hope your tv is working now

15 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I know that this thread has become a binge eating topic but ," A really bad day." Is what I just had.
As I may have said before I just started working for the first time in about three years.
The career  I  have chosen is as a courier where I drive my own van around the city picking up
and delivering parcels and boxes. I drive around 225k/day.
My day started to go astray around 8am when my wife  said ,"The TV doesn't work. So I had to fiddle and finally phone Rogers the cable people to get it fixed. Then I rushed out on the road only to find that i had forgotten my phone and courier radio and had to return home . Then traveling out the highway in a downpour in rush hour and couldn't find my first call .
Then traveling  about twenty miles to the wrong address and had to turn around and go back.
Then my day finished off by getting a $60 parking ticket, which kills the days profit.Dang!!
But in the end I could laugh it off (After a while).
There was a time that I'd have got real upset but it's just not worth it.

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Binge eating is an "expressive disorder", meaning a disorder that is an expression of deeper psychological problems. Therefore, binging may be correlated with depression, however I would suggest speaking with a health care professional.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
maybe related to punishment as well. I know I feel like I am punishing myself when I eat. And maybe comfort and punishment overlap a bit when it comes to depression and anxiety.
Hi All,

I think binging is related to depression in that it is part of comfort seeking.  Things are bad and food that we enjoy offers instant gratification.  We continue to eat even if we're not even hungry because of the comforting effect.  (That is until shame shows up and the process begins again)
I also think that not eating is a sign of depression as I tend to do either depending on where I am.  When I'm very low (hopeless) I can't eat because I am beyond comforting at that point. 
When I'm anxious I tend to do both, first one then the other.
Does anyone else have these tendancies?  Do yours have the same underlyers?
So the binging is a part of your depression. 
In normal times, your appetite is under control and when your body gives the "full" signal the brain quits stuffing food in... when depressed the precess is short-circuited???
Somewhere it seems I do not get the full signal and I go on... and on ... and on till I can not more to get more. And when medicated it seems worse since a meal can start this process...

Can depression and it's chemical imbalances be affecting this part of the brain as well since appetite is so affected by depression?

Reading this thread: