Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,562 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PMYKEL JOHN, Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN

My marriage is in crisis...

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,

I am sorry to hear that you are still having problems.  The only thing I can say is that I understand, it is the only offering I have right now.  I wish I had an idea of how to fix your situation but if I did I would have already had success in my own.  Sorry that I have nothing very positive to say.  I do hope things change for you soon and that the results are positive, I just don't have any ideas on how to acheive that.  You are still in my thoughts.
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,   I totally empathize with your feelings of despair and frustration over watching the man you love fade into something that you cannot control or change. I believe that part of the solution is definitely in communication.............express to him that you understand how much playing video games are important to him but would it be possible to play only at certain times of the day? I think if you approach him without being confrontational he may be more receptive and open to you. It is about give and take and surely he can appreciate you giving him his space in return for some quality time with you or fulfilling a request you have of him (like going to see a counsellor together). You can't make a horse drink water as they say. Your husband does seem to be in denial about his condition. You both have to work on your part equally to save your marriage. But ultimately for his own happiness your husband has to want to feel and live a happier life. I do hope his birthday turns out to be pleasant...........giving him a heartfelt card as Rose suggests sounds like a good idea.   Good luck and let us know how it goes.     Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 142 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello diva,
sorry to hear about this......you have nothing to feel guilty about! he is in denial, or refuses to grow up. the video games are a way to block out his stress or responsibilities. how old is he? my son is 28 and loves video games and at one time i would have called him an addict but he finally realized that there is a time for this and a time for that. can't he control it? just an hour or two a day or only on sundays? you've been really patient, i think. i probably would have unplugged and boxed it all up and kept it at someone else's house. tough love - cold turkey! my husband is a golfaholic - watchs the tournaments on tv, reads the  magazines, and plays once a week on average. sometimes i really hate it! how dare he have fun when i am sitting here wallowing in my misery. he said his 1st wife hated it, too. i think it justs takes away from more important things. but it's his outlet and if he keeps it to once a week i am ok with it but......he owes me 5-6 hours (avg golf time) to do what i want him to do. has he gone with you to counseling? he owes you that much. maybe he is afraid of what comes out or up. ask him! i would give him a card for his birthday, filled with feelings and questions and maybe offer a deal or two. don't beat yourself up for not knowing what he wants when he won't say - you're not a mind reader. you're such a sensitive person - don't think he gets that about you. good luck, diva, stop beating yourself up. he needs to step up to the plate, too.
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow my post was too long and got cut out...I guess I will just finish my sentence...

Sad part too is that I now find his birthdays painful. I know he will most likely want for me to just get out of his way so he can order whatever junk food or soul food he wants for his birthday. He will most likely want for me to be as small and invisible as possible so that he can play his game endlessly without being hindered. I might be  wrong, then again that is what he has wanted before in the past so who knows. So the love of my life, might want nothing to do with me on his birthday.

I am sad.  I love him so much...I do. But I am afraid nothing will ever change.
15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
...yet again. 

It seems to be a recurring theme. Marriage trouble with depression. I keep wondering if the depression leads to marriage issues or if it is the reverse. I think in my case it is a bit both. My anxiety and depression does not help my marriage and my marriage does not help my depression or anxiety issues!

I have come to the conclusion that my husband is not only chronically depressed but that he is also a video game addict. Now all this combined makes this whole marriage thing really tough. And I am not saying all our problems are his fault or that he is bad and I am perfect. Far from it! We both have our good points and our faults in all this. But it is tough to live with, the same way my depression and anxiety is tough to live with for him.

I guess what frustrates me most is that he seems to consider it normal and in the right order of things for me to seek help. He expects that when I do not feel good I will call in the cavalray and get help and go see the doctor and the shrink and the therapist and call my firends etc. You know, help seeking behavior. He expects that I will try to take better care of myself  and use my ressources like here to feel better. He accepts my illness knowing that I will fight to get better! But he won/t do this for himself!!! He seems to think there is nothing wrong with him except that the whole worls is out to get him (me included) and that everything in his life (including me sometimes) is worthless and goes wrong. But there is nothing wrong with him. Once in a blue moon he admits he might be depressed but won/t do anything about it. If I tell him he should do something for himself about it he says he isn<t depressed... Going to a therapist is for me not for him... He chooses junk over healthy food, he chooses to sit and play video games instead of moving, he chooses to speak to no one and he chooses video games over everything, even proper sleep. As you can see I am having control issues and anger issues over this. Help!

I am sad as I see no end to this. I obviously find it is ok for him to not be well. That is not where my issues lie. I could accept he needs time if he did something about it. But he doesn't! So how long do I stay here waiting for him to get better when he doesn't seem to want to try? I try so hard at improving myself and our marriage. How long do I stay and wait to see if he will get help?

I feel guilty and like a horrible person feeling like this. I should understand. I should know how it feels for him. I should have more empathy. But his lack of seeking help and trying to get better is bumming me out and after all this time I do not know how much longer I can just watch him and wait. I feel guilty though for feeling like this. I feel like a real monster. Oh and I know I am a control freak...am working on it.

Today is his birthday. I have nothingplanned for him. I feel guilty but that is how he wants it. He says anytime I plan something for his birthday it goes bad. Then again he finds anytime anyone plans anything for his birthday it goes bad so at least it is nothing personnal. I wanted to know what he wanted for a gift since he is picky. He did not know. I do not have a gift for him. I have tried to get him coolgifts in the past without asking him but I failed miserably. I can't seem to buy him a gift he likes. So I just ask now. And if he has no answer well I get stuck like today with no gift and a guilty conscience. Sad that I gave up so easily and shameful.

Sad part too is that I now find his birthdays painful. I know he will most likely want for me to just get out of his way so he can order whatever junk food or soul food he wants for his birthday. He will most likely want for me to be as small and invisibl

Reading this thread: