Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,602 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MRITCHEL AMBRIE, DMARY CHRISTINE, DILOIZA MARHYZ, AFRANCESCA, SERI

Alternative methods?

18 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm not really good with meditation, but my accupuncturist really pushes it. I'm very much a "go, go, go" "do, do, do" person. I generally get depressed when I'm bored and don't have any outlets. On the other hand, when I go and do too much, I forget to take quiet time out for myself and meditate. Its very difficult for me to sit quietly and think positively. I need to get some coaching on that end, as well. I sit quietly after I do yoga and try to get centered, but I need to teach myself to do the same at night when my negative thoughts creep up, instead. The thought of living on medication isn't so depressing in itself to me. I just know how terrible the side effects were and don't want to go there again. This journey I'm about to begin with the alternative methods is going to involve a complete change of diet/lifestyle for me, and I know it. Its going to take alot of dedication to stick to. In some ways it'll be more difficult than just remembering to pop a pill, but I'm hoping that it works. I'm excited to get started feeling better and nervous of all the changes that are neccessary, too.
18 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Liz I was also very concerned about the side-effects of the medication I was prescribed over a number of years. Also I found the idea of being on medication for the rest of my life pretty depressing in itself. I am now trying to cope and improve without drugs. I have found meditation to be helpful. It's no miracle cure but it does help to quieten the racing, anxious voice in my head. I'm not particularly good at meditation - just a beginner - but I try to do about 20 minutes each day. I use a cd with guided meditations. I would like to go to meditation classes with other people but can't face the social aspect just yet. I'm really interested to hear how you get on with the treatments you plan. best wishes Lemon
18 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried alternative methods to medication. I'll be moving back to the city that I have a successful career. I will be able to afford and am planning on doing some intensive therapy. I'm also planning to combine this with help from a Chinese Dr./Accupuncturist. I understand that accupuncture can help depression. My mother has also agreed to help me get together with her homeopathic Dr. He has had alot of success in developing diet and supplement programs for people with depresion/anxiety etc. I have taken meds before and found that they all had terrible side effects. Anti-depressants I have taken before made me feel like I was on cocaine or methamphetamines. I felt like my hair was standing on end everyday. I would get weird shivers or hotflashes when I had negative thoughts. I couldn't sleep or eat and dropped down to 92 pounds. I actually ended up being more depressed and anxietal than before. Then it always takes alot of time to work the meds out of your system. At any rate, does anyone have experience with more natural methods? If so, please share...and I'll keep you all posted as to how my treatments go.

Reading this thread: